Active species

Montgomery Montgomery

Arachnopeon
Hey y'all

I've never kept a scorpion.
Which species are out and about exploring. Bold. Not pet rocks?

Also, I'm having trouble finding websites to research species. Not as much material out there as tarantulas (theraphosidae is my fav website)
Thanks y'all

NYAN

Arachnoking
Well, scorpions are nocturnal keep in mind. You’ll see them more of them when it’s dark out. They don’t exactly go out and about exploring all of the time.

If you wanted to get a colony of a Centruroides species like gracilis, which is a good beginner species, you will have better chances to see them. I see my Centruroides more often than my other scorps at least.

Other good beginner species are pretty much any vajovid, Hadrurus species, Pandius and Heterometrus. Most of these will require substrate to burrow in, therefore will be seen less often.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Are you keeping the animals for personal entertainment, or for their health and well being?

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
Are you keeping the animals for personal entertainment, or for their health and well being?
Do you think it ignoble to keep an invert for personal entertainment? So you keep them merely for their health and well being?

Montgomery Montgomery

Arachnopeon
Well, they would be kept well and healthy if that's what you're asking. Hence why I'm asking for scorpion related websites and caresheets to follow. If you want to help you could answer the second part of my question.
But if I have the option to select which species I want, why would I opt for something I'd enjoy less? I bet people provide better care for animals they actually find joy in keeping.

Do you keep things you don't enjoy?
Why?

Why do you get scorpions?

Any animal kept in captivity should be provided health and the best conditions we can provide. That's a given. But I should be able to select which species I want to keep. Some like big, some small, some colorful. I like activity. I like to observe behavior.

I appreciate your defense of animals but your attempt at a leisurely head hunt makes no sense

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Do you think it ignoble to keep an invert for personal entertainment?
A question far too complex to be answered and it's arbitrary, depending upon the dignity of each person.
I don't 'keep animals'. We have three cats which were taken into protective custody and remain incarcerated in order to protect the environment from their depredations. All other animals within our sphere live in situ. Observed, appreciated and protected at times, but I'm not a god and don't know what the Norn's have in store even for myself, let alone other beings.

'We can not, will not possess even ourselves. How can we even think of possessing another?' -The blind man in The Silent Flute

Last edited:

Montgomery Montgomery

Arachnopeon
I'm not knew to exotics or inverts, and I'm not like some douchey teen planning to fight them or keeping them because I think they're "broooo venom badass scorpion yeahhh"
I'm aware it is a tiny invert that will mostly hide and not move for hours on end.

PureXotics804

Arachnosquire
I'm not knew to exotics or inverts, and I'm not like some douchey teen planning to fight them or keeping them because I think they're "broooo venom badass scorpion yeahhh"
I'm aware it is a tiny invert that will mostly hide and not move for hours on end.
I get what youre asking, i have a C.gracilis and C. sculpturatus colony, i see good activity out of both of mine as compared to my H. spinifers and P. imperators. There are 2 things to be considered though if keeping them communally they breed quite prolifically and the communals can be more dangerous when maintaining especially the C. sculpturatus. I do find that both Centruroides are more entertaining to keep when kept a little warm and communally. Just have to provide plenty of hides and keep them well fed to reduce cannibalism. I say reduce because its always a chance of them eating each other for various reasons.

Montgomery Montgomery

Arachnopeon
I get what youre asking, i have a C.gracilis and C. sculpturatus colony, i see good activity out of both of mine as compared to my H. spinifers and P. imperators. There are 2 things to be considered though if keeping them communally they breed quite prolifically and the communals can be more dangerous when maintaining especially the C. sculpturatus. I do find that both Centruroides are more entertaining to keep when kept a little warm and communally. Just have to provide plenty of hides and keep them well fed to reduce cannibalism. I say reduce because its always a chance of them eating each other for various reasons.
Highly appreciate this bud

Montgomery Montgomery

Arachnopeon
Why don't some of you answer simple questions put forward by people seeking advice instead of coming out with self opinionated clap trap ??
Thank you lol!
Like if I wanted your pretentious psychobabble delusions of grandeur I would have watched your Netlfix documentary...

PureXotics804

Arachnosquire
I'm agreeing with you bud lol.
About the guy that felt the need to question my husbandry ethics.
Some people one here think the way they keep inverts or w.e they keep is the only way to keep it. When in reality animals can survive in a multitude of environments in captivity but wont necessarily thrive in many of them. Like for example ive had ppl tell me i shouldnt use a heat mat for my scorpions or that t's dont need a heat source. Thats cool however i still use a heat mat as i carefully monitor the temps and provide constant water and relief from the heat and my Ts are on a heated shelf and they frequently are at the back of their enclosures getting heat and all my inverts are much more active than at room temp. However others choose against it as there are risks involved if done incorrectly. In my opinion as long as it is not blatantly wrong or lethal for the animal then i let ppl do what works for them.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Some people one here think the way they keep inverts or w.e they keep is the only way to keep it. When in reality animals can survive in a multitude of environments in captivity but wont necessarily thrive in many of them. Like for example ive had ppl tell me i shouldnt use a heat mat for my scorpions or that t's dont need a heat source. Thats cool however i still use a heat mat as i carefully monitor the temps and provide constant water and relief from the heat and my Ts are on a heated shelf and they frequently are at the back of their enclosures getting heat and all my inverts are much more active than at room temp. However others choose against it as there are risks involved if done incorrectly. In my opinion as long as it is not blatantly wrong or lethal for the animal then i let ppl do what works for them.
I agree all animals can survive in a multitude of environments both in captivity and in the wild, however unless they are in optimal conditions this is when they suffer. No Dog/Cat/ Bird/ Fish keeper would dream of keeping their animals in any less than ideal conditions, why should scorpions, or any invert, be any different.
Surely this is why people use this forum so they can hopefully obtain information that will help them keep their charges in optimal, or close to optimal, conditions.

PureXotics804

Arachnosquire
I agree all animals can survive in a multitude of environments both in captivity and in the wild, however unless they are in optimal conditions this is when they suffer. No Dog/Cat/ Bird/ Fish keeper would dream of keeping their animals in any less than ideal conditions, why should scorpions, or any invert, be any different.
Surely this is why people use this forum so they can hopefully obtain information that will help them keep their charges in optimal, or close to optimal, conditions.
Yeah i feel the same way, however not everyone sees it this way and not everyone is open minded to trying different things. I'm a biologist so ive spent a decent amount of time studying inverts and other things in a class room and on my own. However i still learn neat tips on here and try to pass on w.e knowledge i can with out belittling people or their skill set. Its all in the approach and tone of the comments on the thread to me. Its like i can make mistakes but if im trying and willing to learn an improve then that should be all that matters, luckily most ppl on here that ive come across are pretty respectful and seem to have a genuine passion for inverts and a spirit for the hobby.

Montgomery Montgomery

Arachnopeon
Soooo anybody know if there is a hobby species notorious for being out and about or exhibiting more behavior than others?
Relatively speaking.

PureXotics804

Arachnosquire
Soooo anybody know if there is a hobby species notorious for being out and about or exhibiting more behavior than others?
Relatively speaking.
Idk how you feel about parthenogenic scorpions but my T. stigmurus is frequently out and roams around her bark doing random things. Even dug a hole yesterday, also is a pretty good eater. Idk if they are known in the hobby as being active though im just sneaking from personal experience.