Question Active Member (Clarification)

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Update:

We weren't happy with the number of "Active Members" so we changed the criteria. It is now 15 posts within the previous 45 days.

We're also still looking for feedback on the number of posts / time frame.

Thanks
Honestly, I think 5 post would be good.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Active member requirement seems generous to me. Lenient and thoughtful in my opinion.
I was also very pleased with old-timers exception for posting abilities - a kind tribute to who have been here a long time but may not post as frequently. Colour me impressed. :)

Ellenantula <--- Definitley NOT an old timer, only been causing trouble here since 2014. ;)

TarantulasWorld

Arachnosquire
Update:

We weren't happy with the number of "Active Members" so we changed the criteria. It is now 15 posts within the previous 45 days.

We're also still looking for feedback on the number of posts / time frame.

Thanks
My fear is, I am not one to post much. Honestly the majority of what I do is lurk the buy/sell/trade threads. I personally do not post much due to soo many threads just not spiking my interest and many of times by the time I do get into a thread or I wish to comment with something informative, someone already ended up commenting the same exact thing. Most forums, even those with hundreds of thousands of subscribers never restrict its users with access by forcing them to post. My $0,02 on the matter is that you end up with spam posts, a whole lot more "Fluff" (as you call it) and probably will end up turning people away all together.
I happen to have connected with about a handful of people on here that I am happy and glad I've found them but I cannot lie and say that forcing me to post content doesnt bring a sour taste.

I also understand you want the forums to be a bit more active as it looks better to new users and possibly even advertisers but this idea might end up creating more of a negative effect.

Now if you wish to grow this community even more maybe reinventing AB from a different point of view might help. A new site layout, a more updated forum theme, a more active social media presense (these are just a few small ideas that come to mind that have made many other websites succesfull)

We are your community and we will still be here one way or the other. We know you admins put a lot of time and effort into the success of AB and we appreciate your hard work but I see this creating a bit of a stir.

In closing this is just my $0.02 and maybe evwn a bit of a rant :D

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Well, it is a forum -- a place for knowledge exchange -- not Craig's List. lol The classified are an added bonus. Forum is meeting place for like-minded members to connect, educate, learn. I am not wanting more social media linkage here. Nor a more strongly focussed 'classifieds' *selling* type atmosphere either. :)

beaker41

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Lost my active status in a lot less than 45 days, how do you even tell where you're at post wise? Did I have active status and then lose it because my posts weren't deemed worthy ? Do breeding reports count the same as tarantula chat posts ? Whats the deal ?

beaker41

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Not sure anyone is going to read this or respond but I've got to say I find this system frustrating and find that it encourages me to just pay money instead of submitting content. I've submitted content in the past merely to try to provide information to new people, the same way I got information when I was just starting out. Now it feels like I've been told what I've submitted isn't good enough, and that leaves a pretty bad taste in my mouth. For a system that was put in place to encourage people to contribute to the community it is having the opposite effect on me, and I doubt I'm the only one. I've posted half the breeding reports on the site since the revamp, all of which have been viewed hundreds of times , yet apparently these posts for which I upload pictures and compile all my dates are weighted the same as any other post. Every single post in chat and discussions has 20 + replies and I don't see how anything informative can be added to many of them. if the purpose of this business model is to enrich the community, I don't see it doing that, rather it is driving people away from contributing by making them feel inadequate in their submissions, revoking their status on such a frequent basis. I'm sure that a certain number of users here that also run commercial sites would rather do away with the classifieds all together, but taking something away doesn't add to the site. especially from people who can't afford to pay premium prices for relatively cheap t's on commercial sites. its truely frustrating when you're in a financial pinch and need to sell off part of the collection but you're not allowed to post a simple ad. All the people who never contribute are still on the classified section, the only difference is you've e reacted money from them, and apparently this offsets the "turning this into craigslist" effect that everyone is so upset about.

Last edited:

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Just logged in, after usually just reading without logging in, cause I wanted to reply to an interesting post made by Snark.

Now I find out about all this new stuff and want to say "Thank You!". - Nice touch, I appreciate it. Even more, since this comes really unexpected.

Don't care, about "active user"-status, though, as long as what the folks post has some content in it (informational or humorous), it's all fine and dandy for me.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
Kind of curious about this, because i know I've made atlas 15 posts in 45 days but it still doesn't say I'm an active member. has the criteria changed again or is it still 15 in 45?

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Kind of curious about this, because i know I've made atlas 15 posts in 45 days but it still doesn't say I'm an active member. has the criteria changed again or is it still 15 in 45?
Posts in the "Tarantula Chat" forum do not count.