Ack! It's a male?!

Vanan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Come back home to find my premoult (for 2+mths!) rosea just done moulting. So after going back and forth about visually sexing via "underparts", this "she" rosea decided to moult into a HE! :p Not sure if he's mature yet as I didn't wanna bug him to look for spurs or check out his pedipalps. Just need more experienced eyes to take a look to confirm my suspicions. His colours look typical of pictures I've seen of mature males too!

Here's a pic showing it's underparts before it moulted. Was told by some that it looked female. I had always thought male. :wall:

Here's it gathering itself after moulting.

The guilty exuvia!

Here's him showing his manly colours. :eek:

It's a good thing I'm going to the city this weekend. Gonna keep an eye out for a bride for him. :wall:

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A better pic may be in order but I'm not seeing any evidence of that being a mature male at all.

Nice looking rosie regardless.

Atrax

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My female G. rosea has the exact same coloring, which I also thought was typical of males.

Vanan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well someone just told me that it's just the postmoult colours which caused my excitement. :p Haven't seen a mature male rosy in person. He doesn't seem to have signs of being a mature male (as I've been advised) so looks like I got a bit of time. :D Thanks!

Vanan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
manville said:
I was the one that told you it is a female..
:8o Yea, I did remember. Just didn't wanna make you sound bad. lol :embarrassed: :p I was pretty convinced it was a female too. Goes to show how unreliable it is sexing without a moult.

mouse

Arachnolord
Old Timer
well i thought mine was female - till it molted this time. boxing gloves, spurs/hooks - and loooong legs. i was so used to the way the legs were before that it now looks kinda funny to me.

dianne

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The exuvia, from that distance, looks female. Maybe a close up of the area between the booklungs, from the inside of the molt, and we could tell you for sure.

The color has absolutely nothing to do with a rosie being male or female!

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
David Burns said:
The exuvia, from that distance, looks female.
I've got to agree with this. A bit closer and it will be more clear but it looks like you can see the spermatheca. Then again, if you physically checked the molt and didn't find any female naughty bits it's probably male. Maybe use a needle or other thin object to try to lift the spermatheca. Sometimes they get stuck and the exuvium will appear to belong to a male tarantula.

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
David_F said:
... but it looks like you can see the spermatheca.
Yeah I think I can also barely make out the shape of the pair of Grammostola antennae...

Vanan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
David_F said:
I've got to agree with this. A bit closer and it will be more clear but it looks like you can see the spermatheca. Then again, if you physically checked the molt and didn't find any female naughty bits it's probably male. Maybe use a needle or other thin object to try to lift the spermatheca. Sometimes they get stuck and the exuvium will appear to belong to a male tarantula.
Yea, I've already done that in the hopes of pulling up a flap. No sign of one being folded over. What you see is what I get. Thanks guys! :)

Crunchie

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
looks pretty girly to me as well. I have a female the same size and the underside pic looks exactly like her.

gothmog

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My first T, my B. vagans Tequila, just moulted into boxing gloves too :(

-- Jon

Vanan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the link. Still don't see anything on the exuvia.

jw73, why do you say it's a female?

JJJoshua

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've had my b. emilia for a year, and the whole time it kept looking like it was a female. It looked almost full grown and with this last molt it surprised me by putting on its boxing gloves and hooks :( Guess I need to learn how to better check the underside... that's a good link btw, TY!!

jw73

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Vanan said:
Thanks for the link. Still don't see anything on the exuvia.

jw73, why do you say it's a female?

It looks female. Male looks different.