accurate information on black widow deaths and recluse (all US species)?

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
I'm terrible at research. I've been looking it up for a bit and can't find any good information on this. Accurate information. I know I read somewhere in the past that nobody has died from a black widow bite in 40 or 50 years. But now I can't find it. anyone have any links on hand?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
To be concise, there is no such thing. There are estimates from various sources but no scientific journal listing all inclusive accurate findings. The reasons are pretty obvious:
1. Not all deaths from spider envenomation have been proven. Some are only suspect.
2. Not all reported deaths from spider envenomation come from reputable scientific sources.
3. Actual deaths from spider venom that has gone systemic and proven to have been the sole cause of biological death is extremely rare and the procedures and facilities used to determine such deaths have occurred are not standardized throughout the world.
4. In many cases of suspected death from spider envenomation, the venom was only contributive and not the sole cause.
5. When a venom was attrributed to contribute to a death, the degree of contribution is not always scientifically and forensically established. Especially so when various forms of shock were involved.
6. Deaths from spider envenomation do not always take into account pre-existing medical conditions. IE Was it the spider or the advanced atherosclerosis or a combination thereof as example.
7. Deaths from spider envenomation do not always take into account post incident medical and environmental conditions. Malnutrition or other weakening of the body's immune system as examples.

So to sum up, if you want to go hunting shrewd, sensible or wild guesses, have at it. If you actually find a listed accurate number, the sources are wrong. From what I have read, there are reasonably accurate estimates of latrodectism and the funnel web envenomation mortality appears to have been (probably) accurately recorded.

Please keep in mind, ALL reputable entomologists and arachnid experts will always and invariably challenge any definitive report claiming an all inclusive accurate number of deaths.

Last edited: