Accidental Pet

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So... I have a new pet. A black 'hopper' that was meant for tarantula food. I typically don't give live vertebrates to my tarantulas but I felt comfortable offering a live mouse of this size to my L. parahybana because I figured it would be killed immediately....

Well, I put the mouse in the container but before there could be an encounter between predator and prey, I snatched the little guy back out. I don't know what made me think a bleeding heart like myself would be able to feed a live mouse to my tarantulas without this happening.

My new mousie is soooo adorable! Very handleable. Doesn't crap all over me and not bitey in the least. I'm sticking to frozen from now on!

Anyone else had an experience like this?

kellygirl

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
I believe Holley & Co. had a VERY similar experience.... ok, so it was exactly the same, whatever.... ;)

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I myself seem to have a strong stomach. So im never really bothered with feeding live hamsters to my snakes. Its a lot less messy than frozen. No waiting for the water to warm up and no disgusting "mouse water"

I have yet to see my 1/2 inch parahybana eat a mouse or a frog or something. I saw a picture of one in the T gallery eating a baby chicken. What might be the largest prey you can feed a say....8 inch parahybana???:?

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I dont know, but I cant see a 1/2 inch ANTHING eating a mouse or a frog, maybe you should stick with crix and superworms or something for now. :D

While I have felt pity for something that doesn't get eaten right away I usually just pass it along until it does. But maybe I'm weird, I just LOVE cold-blooded creatures and invetebrates.

I wouldn't mind having a pet rat though, or a pair of them.

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
lol. yeah, im sticking with crickets and mealies right now. Im just contemplating the future...

ines68

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It happened to me ones... I bought 2 baby hamsters and have to return them... I do not have the heart to give a pet to another pet.

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It kind of happened to me. My snake refused to eat and none of my Tarantulas were large enough to take a full grown mouse.

So I had two mice for a week and I couldn't help but to get attached to them. So being the cold hearted prick I am, I figured the best way to get rid of the attachment is to let them cohabitate together.

It didn't work out in the end, but it did get rid of my attachment. ;P

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Originally posted by Mister Internet
I believe Holley & Co. had a VERY similar experience.... ok, so it was exactly the same, whatever.... ;)
yup...it's happened to us all I think...either you can feed live, or not...
here, we just don't!
my Rosy Boa feeds just fine on frozen jumbo mice, and when he's not in the mood to eat, I just give it to one of the Ts. If they won't eat thawed, they don't eat them at all....

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's my little mousie, Oscar. :)

Last edited:

BigSam

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My ball Python would love to sink it's teeth into your mouse, ;P But your mouse is safe because it only eats white mic or rats, I tried to give him a black one and he didn't eat it and then I gave him a white one and it didn't even take a couple of mins to eat it. :rolleyes:

Sam,

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thats kinda interesting Sam, as snakes dont see in color. Try smelling the mice and try to find a difference in taste;P

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by BigSam
My ball Python would love to sink it's teeth into your mouse, ;P But your mouse is safe because it only eats white mic or rats, I tried to give him a black one and he didn't eat it and then I gave him a white one and it didn't even take a couple of mins to eat it. :rolleyes:

Sam,
my ball python is just the opposite, it won't eat white mice or rats, has to have multi-colored rats.
Ed

L_mactans

Arachnolush
Old Timer
I always thought that I wouldn't have been able to feed live animals to my other pets. If I were to feed my snake a live mouse I had to leave the room. Then I went to live in a 3rd world country for a while... I no longer have ANY issue tossing in live prey with the snake. Lets just say I had some experiences...