Acanthoscurria sp. maldonadaensis, my verdict

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
So I dunno about you guys, but this girl isn't something that I've come across before in a reptile shop or an expo, and she doesn't seem to be kept frequently in private collections (I could be wrong? But I couldn't find a single YT video either). I came across her in my local reptile shop about 1 or 2 days after one of the people there got her from an expo. I'm a huge Acanthoscurria fan, and the price wasw reasonable, so i immediately grabbed her, 2.5" female.

Temperament wise, she's great so far, she did kick hairs once during rehouse, but never again as of now, and she's not overtly shy or anything, tho she ain't a teddy bear either so this isn't a T that should be handled more than absolutely necessary. She doesn't bolt often even when touched, I would say comparable to my Nicaraguan B. albopilosum but that one never ever kicks hair at me. She defo is not close to being as mellow as my G pulchripes but she's an Acanthoscurria so that's to be expected. I would classify her as docile but a little bit shy, and btw she doesn't hide often especially when hungry and only a few hours (about 7-8) after rehouse she was outside of the cork bark hide scouting.

Which brings me to the next point, feeding response is fantastic! When I saw her outside, with the best half of her body sticking out of the hide I thought that's exactly what many if my Ts do when they're waiting for prey, I decided to throw her a mealworm and see if she be interested, I was 99% not expecting her to react because she only been in her new enclosure for like 7-8 hours, but she immediately pounced the worm, bit into it, and turned it into dinner. It seems to be a universal Acanthoscurria thing.

Overall verdict is very much positive IMHO, this is one amazing tarantula, great temperament for me, amazing feeding response, and according to the guy who had it, it grows very quick (typical for the genus), and to my eyes looks very nice! Her fangs seem to be bigger than a comparable size A. geniculata btw! I could see them when she was biting into the worm and I do have a genic female of about the same size and I am pretty sure this one has bigger guns, could be just me tho.

Now for a couple pics:

I'll take a couple ventral shots soon, and I'm kicking myself for not having done that before rehouse. Right now I'll let her take her time to settle and I generally prefer not to bother my Ts for 10 days or so after rehouse.

Finally, these are just what I've experienced so far WITH MY PARTICULAR SPECIMEN. Tarantulas vary moderately (and sometimes greatly) depending on the individual and sometimes they can be moody. So don't be surprised if you get one and it ends up being completely different . That said I've only been keeping Ts for a couple of months and she is absolutely manageable for me, so I feel like this is a beginner friendly T all things considered.

Last edited:

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
Are these in the hobby elsewhere & if so, who sells them?
I'm not sure, but your best bet would be reptile Expos and large scale breeders. Tarantula Canada has a few 0.5" ones for 30 Canadian dollars each. But if you're not in Canada or at most the US shipping might be an issue.

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
So the cricket leg in the pic above has a funny story, today I was filling her water dish cause after eating that worm she put some substrate in it, I was also watering my A. geniculata and then gave her a cricket but the bugger jumped and landed right next to the newcomer. Talk about getting out of the frying pan and right into the fire! All i need to say is that the leg is all that's left lol