Species Acanthoscurria geniculata

WhyTeDraGon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
BEAUTIFUL, I have 4 of these guys, and I cant wait until they are grown :D Mine love to flick hairs, even as little babies. I got my first threat posture AND strike from my largest one yesterday {D

monster_bugs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i think i have said it many many times... i ODORE genics.... my MOOOST favourite spider of all and always will be... and u got a very nice one... i got 3, 1 3.5 inch male(a buddies female is waiting for him already), and 2 little slings, one around 3/4" and 1/3"... and i want more...
yea looks like she could REALLY use some rehousing... go for a 5 gallon and forget about rehousing for maybe her whole life....

Igor

NYBrett

Arachnopeon
it tried to get me!!!

I was checking one of these out at a herp show and I touched it to check its temperment. It turned over and tried to bite through its container-FANGS OUT and everything!!!

cryptly

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow. She's a looker. :D I can't wait until mine gets that big. It's only 2.5" now, but is already showing some amazing color. {D It's recently molted and I think it kicked half of its new hairs at me when I was trying to remove the molting. :rolleyes: Fiesty, but I love it. {D

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Mine is lazy. sits in her hide. She was up on the glass a few days ago and was trying to bite the glas that goofball. I can't wait till my girl gets bigger, so I can find her a B/F. :D

monster_bugs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i find that most genics never chill in the hide... i LOVE mine for that, almost always out and showing his beauty... cant wait till the other 2 guys grow... god please send me one female out of them..hehe, female genics are trasures.... lol

Igor

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
I have a 5" girl, a shy and minor kicker. Climbs around but stays under shelter most of the time. Pre-molt behaviour I guess.

Hey Bluerich I notice yours appears to have pinkish knees like mine, unlike most pictures I've seen here. That's a post-molt shot right? Mine's in pre-molt but the kness are very pink.

bluerich74

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
JohnxII said:
I have a 5" girl, a shy and minor kicker. Climbs around but stays under shelter most of the time. Pre-molt behaviour I guess.

Hey Bluerich I notice yours appears to have pinkish knees like mine, unlike most pictures I've seen here. That's a post-molt shot right? Mine's in pre-molt but the kness are very pink.
Yea John, she molted over the weekend while I was away.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I have no clue why she is doing this. I have feed her alot so she might be just chilling out. :confused:

knightjar

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Very pretty!

I have an adult female, one of my first and favourite Ts. She used to kick a lot until she matured, but rarely does now, in fact she's a very relaxed spider - always out in the open and never showing any defensive behaviour, even when I move the tank. She's a voracious eater and will bundle up as many crickets as I put in and eat them at once. She always attacks her water dish when I fill it, then gets annoyed at being wet.

koldaar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here is my A. genic. Aren't they one of the most beautiful T's in the world?!?!
I will be transferring the little guy to a new container within the next few days, he's so big!

Last edited:

WhyTeDraGon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They sure are beautiful :) I love them. Here is one of my 4 slings.

Your little one is a cutie! Very nice :D

koldaar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I noticed something kind of strange with this little guy. When I opened his container to give him a cricket he went over to the water and put his front legs and pedipalps all the way down to the bottom of the water. He had put some substrate in the water and it looked like he was balling it up with his legs. It kind of looked like he was hugging the substrate that was in the water. The substrate in his container is slightly moist, so I don't think it's a moisture thing. You can see him doing it in the first picture. Anyone else seen this before?

WhyTeDraGon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have no idea why he would do that. Perhaps he was sucking some of the moisture out of it? :confused: Or maybe he liked it for building because it held together stronger?

Grimlock

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
He was making sandcastles. It's a rare sight to see, but sandcastles are one of a T's favorite past times.

heh. Seriously though, nice looking T you have there. Post more pics when you move him. :)

Rob1985

This user has no status.
The A.geniculata is one the most bueatiful New Wrold T's. I have a 3.5" female. They are very hardy and stay visible a lot!!! mine puts substrate in her water dish when she is doin some reconstruction to her home!!! I have to say that the onyl other NW T that is more striking it the N.chromatus!!! :D

koldaar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, this A. genic is crazy! Just a second ago I noticed he was taking his boluses and packing them against the side of the container. He was putting all his might into it. It was like he was trying to jump on them and get them to bust through the wall. This little one is too much!

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine is .75. How big are they when they finally get those pretty white dots on thier legs? I notived the bigger she gets, they more ferocious she is with her food. I got her at 1/4 inch....Named her Pea. Its gonna sound funny when she gets to be 8 inches.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I noticed that my A. geniculata may be in pre-molt a couple of days ago. I woke up this morning to find a freshly molted T. I've only had it for about a month and it had just molted when I got it. I'm surprised that a T of this size (it was 2" before the molt) would only go just over a month in between molts.

I tried to sex it, but it looks like the part I need to see is slightly ripped. My first impression was male, but I hope I'm wrong.

Here it is:

Yesterday in pre-molt

This morning

Later this evening

I haven't had the opportunity to actually measure it now, but it was a solid 2" before the molt