Acanthoscurria geniculata

Eacpup

Arachnopeon
I can tell you that the absolute worst place to have the moss is around the water dish...that genic moves one piece into the water...and it will...and that moss will wick all the water from that big dish in 20 minutes.
Does moss help at all? Should I just get rid of it completely or move it?

cold blood

Staff member
Does moss help at all? Should I just get rid of it completely or move it?
Its not needed, but it won't hurt...I just keep it away from the water dish. Its ideal to keep the edge of a water dish raised above the substrate and completely clear.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Your set - up looks much better now, apart from the water dish, all you'll need is a lid from a milk jug, not great to look at but better than the one you have, it's taking up so much ground space. The hide seems a bit on the large side, I would bury it a bit deeper that way if it's too small she'll be able to move substrate away to make it comfortable for her , finally enjoy your new 8 legged little wonder......

Eacpup

Arachnopeon
Update: she now has a much smaller bowl (just a little bigger than a bottle cap) and she finally molted today!!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@Eacpup

Having a larger Enclosure does not "stress" them, but it will likely cause them to set up shop in one specific area and they likely will not often stray too far from that area.

What does your new set up look like? Also remember to wait long enough post molt to allow the fangs to harden before you attempt to feed again. Once it resumes feeding, it will be like a tank.

Eacpup

Arachnopeon
@Eacpup

Having a larger Enclosure does not "stress" them, but it will likely cause them to set up shop in one specific area and they likely will not often stray too far from that area.

What does your new set up look like? Also remember to wait long enough post molt to allow the fangs to harden before you attempt to feed again. Once it resumes feeding, it will be like a tank.
Its pretty much the same with the hide buried deeper and a smaller water bowl. How long does that usually take? I was planning on waiting a week or so before trying to feed her.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Its pretty much the same with the hide buried deeper and a smaller water bowl. How long does that usually take? I was planning on waiting a week or so before trying to feed her.
Monitor the fangs. They should be black before attempting a feed. I wait 2 weeks for sub adults and adults just to be sure.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Monitor the fangs. They should be black before attempting a feed. I wait 2 weeks for sub adults and adults just to be sure.
This is definitely the best way to determine whether your T is ready for a meal, waiting the 2 weeks guarantees that the exoskeleton has hardened properly. After waiting 2 weeks the spider will eat no problem.