Acanthoscurria geniculata - allowing substrate to dry

Dancing Cadaver

Arachnopeon
I have a quick question regarding the care of Acanthoscurria geniculata.

As many who are new to the hobby, the anxiety over enclosure humidity levels is difficult to overcome, even with reading the same information from expert and veterans alike that all will be well. In this case I have successfully been caring for two Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens over the past several months. Who, from all behaviors, seem to be thriving and content. However, they don’t need humidity. The newly arrived Acanthoscurria geniculata does.

My question is may I allow the substrate (coco coir) to dry out in the enclosure without harm to the animal in a low humidity room? I ask as I believe I’ve fallen prey to over watering which is promoting mold growth. I’m able to spot clean the mold but to prevent this from spreading or taking root it seems I could do with allowing the substrate to completely dry and become less anxiety driven in keeping the enclosure moist going forward.

Is this accurate? Is there anything I should pay particular attention to from the animal if I allow the substrate to go dry?

Darktiger432

Arachnopeon
Don't worry about humidity. It's not like the t can absorb it. They drink out of the water dish or substrate. A lot of my ts I'll just over flow the water dish. Looks like your t is like that too. Overflowing doesn't have to be daily more like weekly but keep the water dish full always with no sponge. . The whole substrate does not need to be wet.just the area where you over flow the dish. Itll do fine that way.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
My question is may I allow the substrate (coco coir) to dry out in the enclosure without harm to the animal in a low humidity room? I ask as I believe I’ve fallen prey to over watering which is promoting mold growth. I’m able to spot clean the mold but to prevent this from spreading or taking root it seems I could do with allowing the substrate to completely dry and become less anxiety driven in keeping the enclosure moist going forward.

Is this accurate? Is there anything I should pay particular attention to from the animal if I allow the substrate to go dry?
It's OK if the substrate dries out for a little while, but don't let it stay dry forever. (Genics don't like it bone-dry.) Make sure there is always clean water in the water dish. (If your genic is constantly hovering around the water dish, it may be an indication that the substrate is too dry, although mine prefers to hang out by his water dish regardless.)

Instead of wetting all of the substrate, I just moisten one area. Ideally, rotate the damp areas (allowing each one to dry out) so that no one spot is constantly wet. This, along with good ventilation, will help prevent mold. (A little mold is no big deal; just remove it with tongs when you see it.)