Acanthognatus pissi or frankii?

ThisMeansWAR

Arachnosquire
I seem to recollect that the pissi is a bit darker, I could be wrong though. Those four photos you have posted, are the two first photos one specimen and the two second the other specimen?

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
All I can tell you is that they are not Acanthogonatus pissii. Using the revision of South American Nemesiidae by Goloboff (1995), Acanthogonatus pissii is unmistakable due to their coloration of "a reddish cephalothorax and a dark abdomen with yellowish oblique stripes, with dark legs and palps." The spiders pictured in the link you provided do not match this description. Unfortunately, like most other mygalomorph spiders, these can't be reliably ID'd just by pictures especially since you do not have locality information. What makes you think they could only be A. pissii or A. francki?

Pictures of Acanthogonatus pissii from Rick West's Birdspiders.com:
Female
Male

Reference
Goloboff, P. A. (1995). A revision of the South American spiders of the family Nemesiidae (Araneae, Mygalomorphae). Part I: species from Peru, Chile, Argentina, and Uruguay. Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History 224: 1-189.

Last edited:

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks both. Tbh i only assumed they were A.pissii or A.frankii as they're the only two i've seen in the UK available. The second photo is the male and the rest of the photo's are the female.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Whatever they are, wow they're stunning! That metallic bronze accenting is blowing me away.

Ran

Arachnoknight
I’d have to agree with Smokehound as I have pissii and have heard that francki are quite rare as they come from only one small locale and get somewhat larger.