1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acanthognatus pissi or frankii?

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by Deroplatys, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Deroplatys

Deroplatys Arachnodemon Old Timer

UK
  2. ThisMeansWAR

ThisMeansWAR Arachnosquire

I seem to recollect that the pissi is a bit darker, I could be wrong though. Those four photos you have posted, are the two first photos one specimen and the two second the other specimen?

3. AphonopelmaTX

AphonopelmaTX Moderator Staff Member

All I can tell you is that they are not Acanthogonatus pissii. Using the revision of South American Nemesiidae by Goloboff (1995), Acanthogonatus pissii is unmistakable due to their coloration of "a reddish cephalothorax and a dark abdomen with yellowish oblique stripes, with dark legs and palps." The spiders pictured in the link you provided do not match this description. Unfortunately, like most other mygalomorph spiders, these can't be reliably ID'd just by pictures especially since you do not have locality information. What makes you think they could only be A. pissii or A. francki?

Pictures of Acanthogonatus pissii from Rick West's Birdspiders.com:
    Female
    Male

Reference
    Goloboff, P. A. (1995). A revision of the South American spiders of the family Nemesiidae (Araneae, Mygalomorphae). Part I: species from Peru, Chile, Argentina, and Uruguay. Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History 224: 1-189.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  4. Deroplatys

Deroplatys Arachnodemon Old Timer

UK
    Thanks both. Tbh i only assumed they were A.pissii or A.frankii as they're the only two i've seen in the UK available. The second photo is the male and the rest of the photo's are the female.

5. Smokehound714

Smokehound714 Arachnoking Active Member

Socal
    Looks like Fufius to me

6. miss moxie

miss moxie Arachnoprince

Whatever they are, wow they're stunning! That metallic bronze accenting is blowing me away.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ran

Ran Arachnoknight

CA
    I’d have to agree with Smokehound as I have pissii and have heard that francki are quite rare as they come from only one small locale and get somewhat larger.