1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Scheduled Maintenance - Extended Downtime

Please click here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

About to go pick up a puppy from a local breeder

Discussion in 'Not So Spineless Wonders' started by PanzoN88, Jul 22, 2019.

1. basin79

basin79 Arachnoemperor Active Member

Advertisement
    You mean you've decided to get him snipped rather than you've already had him snipped surely?

2. Teal

Teal Arachnoemperor Old Timer

It doesn't have to be one or the other lol He can remain intact and not be bred ;)

If you do neuter him, wait until he is at least 2 years old. Vets and rescues are pushing for pediatric neuters because they would rather the dog suffer some health consequences than possibly produce more dogs. Neutering a dog before he is mature takes away the hormones that tell his growth plates when to close and causes skeletal malformations. Not enough to totally wreck a dog in most circumstances, but definitely enough that it could ruin his chances of being a sport dog. And especially since Corgis have dwarfism, you want him to grow as naturally as possible for as long as possible to be as healthy as possible :)

Sorry for all the unsolicited advice LOL

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. PanzoN88

PanzoN88 Arachnolord

Ohio
    He's developed some bad habits already that you would only see in dogs that are not neutered. Better to get him fixed than let him urinate everywhere. (Shih tzu used to mark everything from trees to walls, until I finally got him neutered).

He's not quite old enough for the operation yet. Think I heard somewhere that it is good to get corgis neutered at around a year, in order to prevent some back problems.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. basin79

I wouldn't blame the fact he's intact for pissing on things. That's more down to training on what's acceptable.

Also definitely wait until he's mature before having his spuds removed. Let him grow to his potential.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Teal

That's absolute nonsense. Neutered dogs pee too. A puppy that age doesn't have the hormones to display intact male dog behaviour. As basin said, whatever issues you are having are training related NOT hormone related. ALL of my dogs are intact - some have been bred, some have not. NONE pee in inappropriate places because they have been taught what is acceptable and what isn't. Keep your puppy on a leash in the house, learn the warning signs for a pup needing to potty, and take him out immediately. I cannot imagine what behaviours you think are attributed to him being intact?

For example - A friend of mine has a dog who was neutered at 4 months old at animal control and adopted out. He was later returned to a rescue for "marking" everywhere... at a year and a half old, he started lifting his leg indoors on the couch, doors, etc. He had had ZERO training, had ZERO manners, and was a complete a-hole when my friend got him. MULTIPLE people who met him advised my friend, "If you neuter him, he'll stop all this and calm right down!" At which point she'd swing him around so they could see his other end and inform them the dog hadn't had testicles in years.

Neutering is NOT the solution vets want you to think it is. A dog's genetic temperament and training contribute more to their behaviour than being intact or not. A year old is the *minimum* age that would be appropriate for neutering.

100% agree.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Teal

P.S. This thread needs more cute puppy photos :p

7. PanzoN88

PanzoN88 Arachnolord

Ohio
    @Teal more puppy photos you say? Got a great one right here. (Ok 2, but who's counting)

20190912_082129.jpg

Nap time in his playpen

20190824_152305.jpg

• Love Love x 1
  8. Teal

He is SO precious <3

(And needs a nail trim lol)

9. PanzoN88

PanzoN88 Arachnolord

Ohio
    He just happened to get a trim after that first picture was taken. He got his final puppy shots as well. Now he can go for walks like other dogs.

10. Teal

Double YAY! :joyful:

Have you considered doing herding trials with him? A friend of mine does them with her mom's Pembroke and it is so brilliant to watch that dog go from a floofy housepet to a serious herding machine! Instincts are amazing, and super fun when you can mold them into useful tools.

11. PanzoN88

PanzoN88 Arachnolord

Ohio
    That's something I should definitely think about if there are indeed herding trials around here.

12. Teal

There likely are!

There are a ton of different fun sports... If your pup has a desire to use his sniffer, there is nosework and barn hunt too!

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. PanzoN88

PanzoN88 Arachnolord

Ohio
    El orejon

20190921_142929.jpg 20190915_195633.jpg 20190915_195558.jpg
    20190917_213837.jpg

• Love Love x 2
  14. PanzoN88

PanzoN88 Arachnolord

Ohio
    He's growing into his ears.

20191001_095442.jpg 20191001_095348.jpg 20191001_095305.jpg 20191001_095138.jpg 20191001_095218.jpg 20191001_094918.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  15. basin79

Definitely. Another 7 years they'll be a perfect fit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1