1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About to freak out.

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Mariner1, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Mariner1

Mariner1 Arachnosquire

Texas
    Advertisement
    Today at noon is officially 14 days since I last saw my T. psychedelicus. I figured, hey shes going to molt and come back out all gorgeous and shiny like always. I'm about to start a search and rescue for her in her little container. Please universe, don't do this!

2. Teal

Teal Arachnoking Active Member

I don't own that species in particular, but two weeks underground isn't all that long...

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor Active Member

That's nothing. Leave it be. No need to helicopter if cage conditions are fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Liquifin

Liquifin Arachnoknight Active Member

It's no longer called that anymore, its called Haploclastus devamatha now. And you shouldn't be worried at all, because that's nothing compared to most other T.'s.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. chanda

chanda Arachnoprince Active Member

Two weeks is nothing! I have spiders that I haven't seen in months. That is normal tarantula behavior, particularly if they are getting close to a molt. Sometimes they'll hunker down in their burrows for weeks or months at a time just because they want a little "me time" or whatever, even if they are not ready to molt, and will eventually emerge hungry but exactly the same size they were before they went down.

Resist the temptation to dig for your spider. If she actually is in active molt, disturbing her could result in a crippling or even fatal bad molt. Just keep the water dish full and avoid leaving live feeders running around in the cage, as a hungry roach or superworm or cricket can kill a molting tarantula. Wait to feed her until she emerges on her own - or, if she's a sling, leave prekilled prey and remove it the next day if it remains uneaten.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. MissouriArachnophile

MissouriArachnophile Arachnosquire Active Member

The benefit of having them dig near the side of the enclosure, at least you can keep an eye on them and watch what they are doing in there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. WildSpider

WildSpider Arachnobaron Active Member

USA
    Yep, a few days after I got my T (was then a 1 inch sling), it barricaded itself for about 4 months. That was rough but something that helped me is I got other spiders (I just caught wild true spiders) and set them near her enclosure so I could still see someone doing something :).

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  8. Mariner1

Mariner1 Arachnosquire

Texas
    OK, thanks for the support and advice. I will be patient, BUT, BUT, she is in a Large vial. This is so scary, losing a T of this caliber. i have 42 of them, but, well yall know what i'm saying.

9. WildSpider

USA
    Maybe after your T reappears (and has hardened if it molted) you could try a smaller container? It might not hide as much for you then.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  10. ComputerDellLI

ComputerDellLI Arachnopeon

Raleigh
    Same thing with me, except there's this tiny house spider that's been living in my P. muticus' enclosure for over a month now. She's closed the curtains on her burrow, so I just watch the house spider harass crickets that are like eight times it's size that I offer every other day or so.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  11. EtienneN

EtienneN Arachnopeon Active Member

Let Nature, aka your pretty little T, do whatever it's gonna do. But perhaps when she reemerges you can attempt to redistribute the substrate in the vial and poke some "starter burrows" in the sides along the walls of the vial so when she goes underground again there's a chance she'll still be visible.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. 8LeggedLair

8LeggedLair Arachnoknight Active Member

Totally normal for this species... mainly they are Fossorial, you bought an expensive pet hole, my buds disappears in its black hole of doom for months at a time

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. MikeofBorg

MikeofBorg Arachnosquire

My Aphonopelma seemanni was underground 5 months plus one pre molt. And that isn't even that long for some other species. Especially from genus Aphonopelma and Brachypelma from what I have read.

My C. lividus Cobalt Blue was a pet hole until I put one of those plastic rock hides in her enclosure. Now she acts terrestrial when before she was always underground. I only ever saw the tips of her front two legs and pedipalps sticking out of her burrow when she was hungry. Now I just look in the hide and there she is.

93B8D846-F9BF-4C73-B6C1-734C074A9387.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  14. WildSpider

USA
    Lol, I love the different house spiders. They can be so entertaining :p.

• Like Like x 1
  15. MikeofBorg

MikeofBorg Arachnosquire

I had one in my A. seemanni enclosure and it was gravid. I moved it and the sack out to a bush this past summer. It was in the enclosure for months.

• Like Like x 1
  16. WildSpider

USA
    It's awesome when that kind of stuff happens! Love seeing the mammas with their egg sacs <3. Had an Agelenopsis sp. lay a sac last year and she would spend so much time caring for it that it was just one of my favorite things to watch.

• Like Like x 1