1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About Obt breeding for help

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by paccen, May 13, 2019.

1. paccen

paccen Arachnosquire

china
    Advertisement
    Hello! I mated my female obt on May 3. A week later I put the males back in to mate. But I don't know if it worked. Today I found that female obt had woven a lot of webs. Is this a sign of pregnancy? What should I do next?

2. Wyoguy069

Wyoguy069 Arachnopeon

Can someone tell me what an “obt” really is? Is it an old world species? Google was not very clear on this either.

3. Serpyderpy

Serpyderpy Arachnosquire

Pterinochilus murinus* Orange Baboon Tarantula. Old world. Shortened to OBT in a lot of cases, also now known as an Orange Bob.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  4. jrh3

jrh3 Knights of The Arachno Table Arachnosupporter

OBT stands for:
    Orange Baboon Tarantula
    Orange Bitey Thing
    Orange BOB for short

This is the species Pterinochilus Murinus it is an Old World Tarantula.

5. jrh3

jrh3 Knights of The Arachno Table Arachnosupporter

Pelinobius muticus is not OBT, it is a king baboon.

6. Liquifin

Liquifin Arachnoangel Active Member

No, females do not produce eggs that quick and if it is an eggsac it's probably the fastest i've ever seen an eggsac being made in such short period of time. I highly doubt it's an eggsac if it happened in about 2 weeks, because that seems almost impossible. Normally it takes months 2 months at shortest that I know of.

7. Wyoguy069

Wyoguy069 Arachnopeon

Thanks Saw that on Google, but didn’t think there are too many Orange Baboons out there.

8. Serpyderpy

Serpyderpy Arachnosquire

Apologies, I get the two mixed up and a quick search gave me muticus. I'll ammend my post.

• Like Like x 1
  9. korlash091

korlash091 Arachnosquire

MÉXICO
    wrong again :hungover: it's Pterinochilus murinus.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Serpyderpy

Serpyderpy Arachnosquire

This is why I need sleep. Thanks.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Teal

Teal Arachnoemperor Old Timer

I have had egg sacs from Orange Bobs three weeks after pairing.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. paccen

paccen Arachnosquire

china
    She simply weaves more webs for the family, and does not have eggs.

13. Teal

Teal Arachnoemperor Old Timer

It is early yet... it certainly can take months! Insure that you are feeding her a lot!

14. advan

advan oOOo Staff Member

I've paired a female and got an eggsac the next day. Females will carry eggs even without pairing with a male(hence phantom sacs).

OP: this species lays hammocks sacs and not the classic sphere shaped eggsac that a lot of Theraphosidae make. Shine a light through the newly webbed area and look for a yellow mass.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. paccen

paccen Arachnosquire

china
    Sorry for the late reply. I'll keep watching her. I also hope to get your help later

16. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnoprince Old Timer

Normally when i have bred this speicies, it took some weeks for the female to make eggsacks. Not days after mating! I dont believe that! They may become more active, webbing alot. But actual egsack construction takes some weeks, maybe 3-8 weeks, depending on individual and other factors. And as people have said, they spin a slinglike eggsack, that they will sit on and protect. Not a round ball!