? about Nebo hierichonticus

cloud711

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
need info on this scorp "Nebo hierichonticus"?

how strong are their venom? is it strong enough to kill a human?

substrate?

humidity requirements?

can they be kept the same way as flat rocks?

thanks in advance... :)

fscorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
:) if they had such a strong venom you would be heaering about them and not about androctonus ;) no, not letal, mild vemom...I am not sure how mild, but not even close to harming a human...
I keep one on sand substarte and the other on garden earth, they are bith doing fine, quite resistant and active scorpions, good eaters....they also grow pretty big...you will have no problems with them...

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mmm...I don't remember where I read that, but I think N.hierichonticus's venom is quite toxic, I think it is one of the most dangerous species in the Diplocentrid family (and now probably the same in Scorpionid).
Eric

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Eric-

Yes. It is the diplocentrid species with the most potent venom. I don't have the exact reference at the moment but I'll look thru my papers and when located, I'll post the ref here.
However, despite it possibly possessing the most potent venom of any diplocentrid, how this equates to actual "danger" to humans is unclear.

Luc

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Eric,

I found one paper:

Annobil, S.H., M.F. Omojola & E. Vijayakumar. 1991. Intracranial haemorrhages after Nebo hierochonticus scorpion sting. Ann. Trop. Ped., 11: 377-380.

I think there's a few others. As soon as I locate them I'll post them here.

Luc

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks Luc.
Yes the venom is hemolytic. There are some other papers on PubMed on this species.

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi
Yes N.hierichonticus is a strange scorpion in terms of venom, its venom reacts with air (changing colour) and as mentioned it causes haemorrhaging and necrosis. The effects of the sting of this species on humans in totally negligible, causing slight pain and a small scab, having no long term effects. That said stings on mice did result in death due to internal haemorrhaging (20% of small test group). I've never seen a reliable LD50 for this species (the 1000+ I quote on the LD50 list is a misquote:8o )

See
“Sting of Scorpion Nebo hierichonticus in Man” Toxicon, 1969, 7, p. 75
“Effects of the venom of the scorpion Nebo hierichonticus on white mice, other scorpions and paramecia” Toxicon, 1969, 7, p. 71

Last edited:

Nazgul

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

ROSIN R. (1965): A new type of poison gland found in the scorpion Nebo hierichonticus (E. Sim.) (Diplocentridae, Scorpiones) - Riv Parassitol 26(2): 111-122

ROSIN R. (1969): Note on the alpha-hemolytic effect of the venom of the scorpion Nebo hierichonticus - Toxicon 6(3): 225-226

ROSIN R. (1969): Effects of the venom of the scorpion Nebo hierichonticus on white mice, other scorpions and paramecia - Toxicon 7(1): 71-73

ROSIN R. (1969): Sting of the scorpion Nebo hierichonticus in man - Toxicon 7(1): 75

ROSIN R. (1973): Paper electrophoresis of the venom of the scorpion Nebo hierichonticus (Diplocentridae) - Toxicon 11(1):107-108

Regards
Alex

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Alex & Oliver,

Thanks for the references - saved me time digging thru hundreds of papers!

Oliver, have you read the paper I reference above (1991)?

Luc

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Barkscorpions said:
Oliver, have you read the paper I reference above (1991)?

Luc
No I tried looking today but my university doesn't have a subscription to that journal.

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nazgul said:
ROSIN R. (1969): Sting of the scorpion Nebo hierichonticus in man - Toxicon 7(1): 75
It's a short but interesting paper that one, its the only one I've seen where the researcher has had volunteers stung by the scorpion in question, I guess you can't do that with L.q.;)