About my big Brazilian Whiteknee....

Hamadryad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Everybody,
Well, as you all probably know I was forced to downsize my collection rather severely so I now have only 4 spiders but they were the very best of the best of my collection and I am focusing on their care much more intently now.I previously described my adult female Usumbara so now I thought I would tell my about my subadult A.geniculata.I originally purchased this spider in August of 2001 at the old PetCenterUSA and she was no more than a .25 inch sling at the time.She was barely able to tackle a medium cricket.She has however grown rapidly over the last two years and is now at nearly six inches.I believe the top size for this species is about 8-9 inches so she still has some growing to do.She is a voracious eater and will consume up to fuzzy mice although I basically maintain her on large crickets.She will attempt to eat multiple crickets at one time and is very fast at snagging them with her chelicerae.She has molted 4 times in the past 2 years and I believe that a molt should be coming up soon as it has been awhile.

Her temperment has become increasingly more defensive as she gets older and I no longer consider her a handleable spider.I have also heard rumors that the venom of this spider is considered to be medically significant? she likes her substrate on the dry side and I just mist lightly about once a week with a full water bowl kept for her.

I am hoping to obtain a digicam this Christmas so with any luck I will be able to post pics of my small collection.I apologize for being unable to provide pics at this time !!!!

The Evil Spider Hunter

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Mine is only about 4" now, but she also has an AMAZING appetite! I hope she grows as fast as yours!

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
Geniculata's are a great spider, I havent heard anything about their venom being bad and from what I know usually new world T's usually arent that bad, the Psalmopoeus being exempt though due to the belief that they have some tie to the Pokies.

TheDon

noboyscout

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I also purchased one from Paul Becker of PetCenterUSA. I got it as a 1/4" sling and it's now about 2" and still growing. I must say I an impressice little bugger. I also got an OBT sling from Paul as a free be and it's about 4" or so. Both have done exceptionaly well in my care although I can't say much about the rest of my shipment. I guess that's why I pick up slings now instead of adults.