Abot buying an emperor scorpion

plainman007

Arachnopeon
Hi all,

I would like to buy a African Black Scorpion (Emperor).
Im in india and am having trouble finding anyone who can ship one to me.
This is just one scorpion as a personal pet. Anyone knows some dealer whos open to shipping just 1 or 2 scorpions internationally. Im located in india by the way. If you can suggest some source in India. That would be even better.

MalevolentScorp

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You may have trouble getting some one to ship internationally, it's risky and can cause potential issues along the way. I have a male emperor for sale for do not feel comfortable shipping the little guy that far...

plainman007

Arachnopeon
Hmmmm, I understand. But if you ever change your mind i can buy him. Any other sources where i can get just one scorpion ? Thanks.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
google.com?

not being sarcastic, but have you seriously tried searching for local dealers within your general region?

edit: i'm an American and don't know how Indian parcel service operates.

plainman007

Arachnopeon
Ive tried all methods and have been searching for nearly 2 weeks now.
Most pet stores sat they cant ship to india.
Also in india there are hardly any exotic pet stores.
Keeping reptiles and insects as pets has never caught up in india.
In fact they relate to pets as only cats / dogs. :)

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know that India is pretty much closed to exports, so I would assume you would have some problems getting an import in legally as well. (I don't know much more than that when it comes to laws in India)

There are a lot of Heterometrus sp. in India though- They are like emperors, (big and black) with comparable venom but not as docile.
I am not sure of the locals where thet are and where you are, but in theory you could get H. xanthopus, H. scaber and H. swammerdami, among others.

plainman007

Arachnopeon
Yes, I read that the swammerdami etc and forest scorpion are in india.
But are they as safe/docile as emperor scorpions ?

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In terms of venom, they are no more dangerous than emperors.

In general, they are not quite as docile as emperors, in my experience some are, but most are more defensive.

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do you know how many of us wish we could get some scorpions from India?

yuanti

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Shipping to and from India would take too long for anything living, not to mention the hassle of dealing with customs. Your best off finding a local species or if someone local or in a nearby country that could hand carry it ;)

Sevenrats

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Seriously. Why would you want an Emperor so bad? Just go get a local species.

plainman007

Arachnopeon
Hi All,

I mean i wanted to Emperor because they are the safest and non-poisonous.
Also there are rarely ever any pet shops in india that too none that sell reptiles. Also the emperor looks large and black. I wanted that shiny black large dangerous look without the actual danger. What species in India would match up to this ? Ofcourse plz suggest some docile and non venomous breed. Im waiting eagerly for your feedback.

CorsePerVita

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you're just starting out then the Emperor Scorpion is the best way to go to get used to scorpions. They are very docile and pretty easy to take care of. They'll generally pinch before they sting... i've noticed mine likes to give you a love pinch if you make him mad to tell you to back off before he'll get really mad at you.

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi All,

Also there are rarely ever any pet shops in india that too none that sell reptiles. Also the emperor looks large and black. I wanted that shiny black large dangerous look without the actual danger. What species in India would match up to this ? Ofcourse plz suggest some docile and non venomous breed. Im waiting eagerly for your feedback.
Heterometrus species are pretty much an emperor clone. Their sting is not bad, they're bigger then emps in the pet trade from what I have, and they are a bit more defensive but nothing to make them stand out like some super fast desert species.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi All,

every scorpion has some trace of poison. it varies in strength from species to species.

Xaranx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Si, scorpions aren't at all poisonous. Venomous however... :D

plainman007

Arachnopeon
Hi,

I finally found a source to get the scorpion.
My local snake park and venom extraction center.
They introduced me to their chief, a tribal snake catcher.
He says they regularly catch 2 types of scorpions for venom extraction.
The red scorpion, which is very tiny and half as venomous as a cobra. And the black scorpion which grows quite large upto about 5 inches at times and is lesser venomous but not fatal. Its sting can be extremely painful for about 48 hours. Its jet black and has huge pincers. The chief said they will try to blunt the stinger with a very fine filer, so as not to hurt the scorp but enough to make it unable to penetrate. They also say this might be the ideal breed since he moves very dramatically and is a sight to watch. They said i should feed him once in 2 - 3 days with large ants or normal cockroaches (which stink incidentally). They say they don't know if the stinger might eventually grow back again and become sharp. Since they've never done this before. But said i can periodically check and use a filing stick which women use for their nails to gently file away the needle sharp end. I also told them about some magicians using a small drop of superglue and they said that might also work. Any advice please ??

Thanks a lot.