Abedus sp.

Goliath

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
This one went through its second molt in my care, eats like a pig.
Mike

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nice. Are you keeping a lot of them?

Abedus are awsome. I kept a group for awhile in a ten gallon tank with large emergent rocks. They scuttle accross them like crabs.

Wade

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Very nice. Belostomatids go through a total of five instars before reaching the adult stage. Abedus is definitely an awesome genus, containing some of the largest species in the subfamily Belostomatinae. I'm currently breeding Abedus indentatus and A. herberti. The nymph in the picture (its difficult to tell) looks like it has just molted into the fifth instar (note the wing buds).

Alex S.

Last edited:

Goliath

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Wade,
This is the only one that I have at the moment. One was lost during shipping. I really like this little guy, they are awesome to keep. I keep him in aplanted 10 gallon tank with his "tankmates", guppies, small danios and other small fish.

Alex,
You are correct about being 5th instar, they were 3rd when I recieved him. Do you have any pictures of the species you are breeding?

I attached some better pictures from today.
Thanks,
Mike

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi Mike,

I just recently purchased a new digital camera, but haven't installed the software onto my computer yet. After I get a macro lens I plan on posting some pictures of my specimens, which will hopefully be fairly soon. I will be starting a Lethocerus and new notonectid breeding project this spring as well. Great instar pictures... looks like a very healthy nymph.

Take care,

Alex S.

Goliath

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi Alex,

Thanks. Sounds very interesting with the breeding program, I hope it all goes well. I will look for those pictures when you get that macro lense too. The nymph eats like a pig and is growing at a fairly good rate. It is pretty interesting to throw a cricket in and as soon as it starts to swim away, the nymph swims over to it and tackles it. They are just great to watch.

Thanks,
Mike

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Giant water bugs are definitely fascinating to watch. The nepomorphs (giant water bugs, waterscorpions, and other closely related aquatic heteropterans) have always been, by far, my favorite insects. They are incredible predators. Giant water bugs of the genus Lethocerus actually prefer vertebrate prey and are capable of taking down frogs, salamanders, and even small snakes. In the mean time, I'll try to post some pictures in a few days without the macro lens.

Alex S.

Goliath

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks roach dude! :D

Thanks Orin for the article!

Alex, I am looking forward to those pictures.

Mike