Abdomen size & attraction to blue LED light (L. Parahybana)

Rappy

Arachnopeon
Hey guys,

So I have two questions for you.

1. Does the abdomen of my spider seem to be too big compared to the spider's overall size? I've fed him/her a bit excessively. (1 small cockroach per day for about 4 days) I'm a bit worried.

2. Every time I put an LED blue light (from a smartphone) above the enclosure, it seems to 'follow' the light and try to touch the light. I've moved the light a few times around the enclosure and it always went for it after a few minutes. Is this normal? Do you think the spider is bothered by it? It is doing anything bad to the spider?

I attached some pics below. Thanks in advance, and sorry for those 2 blurry images. :)

https://imgur.com/a/wNnWQ

NewT GBB

Arachnopeon
The abdomen looks fine. Your T in theory should never eat if it’s not hungry. A fat T is a healthy T. As far as the blue light.. that one I don’t have an answer for.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
The abdomen is definitely alright. And you've got it in a shallow enough enclosure that it would probably be alright even if it was too big.

As for the light, I know tarantulas have poor vision, but they can detect certain colors of light (hence why they usually cover there eyes when you shine light at them). Perhaps it's seeing the light and mistaking it for either prey or something threatening? If it keeps it's front legs up like in the pictures you provided, it's probably trying to attack the light, because that looks like a threat pose

Rappy

Arachnopeon
The abdomen is definitely alright. And you've got it in a shallow enough enclosure that it would probably be alright even if it was too big.

As for the light, I know tarantulas have poor vision, but they can detect certain colors of light (hence why they usually cover there eyes when you shine light at them). Perhaps it's seeing the light and mistaking it for either prey or something threatening? If it keeps it's front legs up like in the pictures you provided, it's probably trying to attack the light, because that looks like a threat pose
Thanks for the info! As for the light, it looks like a threat posture but it didn't show the fangs. In my opinion it seems to be just trying to touch it.

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
I am sure it doesn't like a bright light being pointed at him, but I doubt it will hurt him. I keep all of my Ts fairly fat. They are fine as long as they don't get obese and don't have too much room to climb that they can fall from. I fed my LP 4 or 5 roaches at one time, but I only feed it every two weeks or longer.