Abdomen darkening in Pre-Molt

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
So I noticed this evening that my very bald male B. auratum is beginning to darken up. I thought since he's so bald it makes it very easy to see the color change and it's progression as they grow closer to molting. Figured I'd take the opportunity to record it from now until he molts. Maybe some new keepers will see this and know not to freak out when their tarantula suddenly looks like they've gone rotten!

Here is a picture of his bum from August the 8th, 2017:

And here are two pictures of him today, August the 31st, 2017:

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Here's a different solar eclipse pre molt abdomen this species is nhandu coloratovillosus it should be molting soon maybe tonight or many in several weeks lol..... hopefully sooner than later

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Wow! I wish I would have taken a picture at 12 hours instead of 24 hours! I didn't expect for him to go dark so quickly, given his size. There is only a hint of pink left, right above his spinnerets.

Here he is now, September the 1st, 2017. Approximately 20 hours since initial post.

Click here to skip commentary and go directly to the next update.

Last edited:

Ztesch

Arachnoknight
Why is he so bald? He must be a big time hair flicker huh.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Why is he so bald? He must be a big time hair flicker huh.
That is how he was shipped to me. I bought him at the beginning of August. He's actually not that bad, even now in pre-molt he hasn't really kicked. I'd assume he kicked a lot between his last molt and this one, but I know tarantulas can lose quite a bit of urticating hairs during the shipping process. For example, they are more apt to kick when you are prodding them around to try and get them into the container, they probably rub off rather easily against the paper towel, and then when they get into their new enclosure they have to lay down new urticating hairs to protect their new hide.

My B. emilia was a worse kicker than he's been so far. She'd kick whenever I'd remove the lid or even just open the hatch at the top. So annoying.

aphono

Arachnobaron
The first pic needs a NSFW label! Great photo series. I happened to take pictures of G. pulchripes sling before it molted hours later. So black and shiny I kept thinking "Grape pulchripes", ha.

Ztesch

Arachnoknight
Lol on the B. Emilia. Also that would make sense of the bald booty.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I went out to celebrate my friend's birthday yesterday, and today I had a holiday meal to cook for my relatives. I did get pictures though, both yesterday and today.

So here are pictures from yesterday, September the 3, 2017. Approximately 22 hours since the last update, and 62 hours from the initial post.

He really didn't want to get out of the corner so I couldn't get very good pictures and I had to head out.

Now here are pictures from September the 4th, 2017. Approximately 28 hours since the last update and approximately 90 hours since the initial post.

He was very skittish today. When I gently touched his leg to scoot him forward just an inch to get my camera/phone behind him far enough that it could focus properly, he began kicking immediately. Then he kept kicking when I was dampening some of his substrate to prepare for his molt-- and I only got a couple drops on him from splash-back. I think he's getting pretty close since he's protecting himself more fervently.

Note: I superficially-dampen the substrate for all my Ts when their abdomen turns black to help keep the humidity up and hopefully make their molt a little easier.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Alright guys, phew he was a skittish mess this time! I caught him drinking when I pulled his enclosure out to take an update picture and the second I started to unsnap the lid he started kicking and kept kicking for a good ten seconds-- and he kept kicking pretty much the whole time! I topped his water off and drenched the corner the water dish is in because I wouldn't be surprised if he was really close at this point.

So here he was, September the 5th, 2017. Approximately 28 hours since the last update and 118 hours since the initial post.

Not even three minutes had passed after I put him away with fresh water, when I caught him having another long drink. Molting is thirsty work! Sorry the picture is blurry, I took it through the KK roof-hatch in the dark with flash to keep from disturbing him again.

Mila

Arachnoknight
Lmao why does your t's butt look like one of the characters from coneheads with a bad haircut? Haha

Attachments

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I took pictures last night but forgot to update. He didn't kick at all this time and I made sure to be as gentle and slow as possible to keep from stressing him out too much in his delicate state.

Here he was, September the 7th. Approximately 26 hours since the last update, and 144 hours since the initial post.

Ztesch

Arachnoknight
Hey moxie do you just leave a water bowl? Or do you spray/ mist a little bit when they are going to molt?