A. versicolor egg sac question

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My A. versicolor made a new tube web last night...by this morning it was clear she made an egg sac.

This is my first egg sac and I would love advice from experienced breeders.

Should I:

a. leave it for two weeks and take the egg case out
b. leave it for a month and take the egg sac out
c. leave the egg sac until the slings hatch
d. do something else

Other questions are:

Should I stop feeding her?

What are the odds of getting live slings at this point? Better than 50/50?

How long before slings pop out of the egg sac?

Should I disturb the enclosure as little as possible?

Don't be afraid of offering advice no matter how basic...I know nothing about this. Your help is appreciated.

Last edited:

coco

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:)

you shouldnt stop feeding her at least cuz then maybe shell start to feed on the eggsac

spyder7697

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
man I hope those babies come through for you, cause I want a BUNCH of the potential slings!!!!:}
Ski-Ya Laterz
Russ

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Professor T
My A. versicolor made a new tube web last night...by this morning it was clear she made an egg sac.

This is my first egg sac and I would love advice from experienced breeders.

Should I:

a. leave it for two weeks and take the egg case out
b. leave it for a month and take the egg sac out
c. leave the egg sac until the slings hatch
d. do something else

***I used (C) successfully with this species. Your choice may depend partly on whether she is in a location free of bright lights, noise, and other disturbances. If there's any doubt, (A) or (B) might be safer choices.

Other questions are:Should I stop feeding her?

***I did not feed mine during her incubation period. It's my policy never to feed incubating females. I think the risk of disturbance outweighs any possible advantage. At the same time, I am obliged to admit that there are very successful breeders who do feed their incubating females and believe it may prevent their eating the eggsacs. This is one of those issues you may have to decide for yourself!

What are the odds of getting live slings at this point? Better than 50/50?

*** I don't know about 50/50, but possibly better than with the average tarantula species. Avicularia seem to be more reliable breeders than most genera.

How long before slings pop out of the egg sac?

***My eggsac was made 11/2/03, and the offspring emerged 12/30/03. Temepratures were kept in the mid-70's (degrees F). There were 160 spiderlings in all.

Should I disturb the enclosure as little as possible?

***This is always good policy. The most I did was cautiously replenish her water dish once or twice during the incubation period and take a daily viewing to see if there were any new developments.

Good luck and congratulations!

Joy

P.S. Hey, Tony, good to hear from you again, too!

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Joy and Tony offered sound advice. My experience with A versicolor was very easy.
I left the sac for approx 30 days, then pulled it, and incubated myself. Temps in the mid 70s, and I ended up with 147.
Incubating them yourself after 30 days doesn't really require any work from you either, just keep the cup in a warm place, and wait!

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ive just bred this species before christmas and still no sign of an egg sack:mad: :? :confused:

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hey, i know your in canada professor t and was wondering if i could grab some of the slings off you if and when they are produced.. i'm in canada as well and would appreciate if you messaged me back... thanks.. i post this here because i sent you a pm a loooong time ago and you still haven't answered..

thanks.. take care

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by da_illest
hey, i know your in canada professor t and was wondering if i could grab some of the slings off you if and when they are produced.. i'm in canada as well and would appreciate if you messaged me back... thanks.. i post this here because i sent you a pm a loooong time ago and you still haven't answered..

thanks.. take care
da_illest,

You have me confused with somebody else, I'm not from Canada, I'm originally from NYC, and I live in FL now.

I did however visit the Insectaruim de Montreal last summer and I thought it was awesome :)

Is it legal to ship slings to Canada?

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thank you all for the wonderful advice. I'm very excited, and hope to have slings in a few months :)

I'm trying not to :D

or =D

because I don't want to count my bird eaters before they hatch.

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Trying to post a picture, this is my first ever attempt, and I have no clue how to do it. I have the photos on HP Photo & Imaging with my digital camera. How to I use the attach file to send the picture? How do I get a valid file extension jpeg? Please be specific and assume I know nothing.

I want to post my versicolor and egg sac.

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Professor T
Trying to post a picture, this is my first ever attempt, and I have no clue how to do it. I have the photos on HP Photo & Imaging with my digital camera. How to I use the attach file to send the picture? How do I get a valid file extension jpeg? Please be specific and assume I know nothing.

I want to post my versicolor and egg sac.
do you have adobe photoshop?

tarantulakeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My female made her eggsac April 3, 2003 and the spiderling started emerging June 12. Advice at that time was that most versis were good mothers and in order for me to pull the sac I would have had to destroy her whole set up. So I left the sac with her and she did fine. Male was from Darrin Vernier and we ended up with 70. I never feed my female with eggsacs.
Heres a pix of the day they emerged.
John