A. versicolor breeding a success!

Skypainter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I paired my mature male and female late last Summer. After thinking that my female wasn't going to drop a sac, she surprised me with a walnut sized sac on Dec. 10. The temperature in my spider room averaged between 75 and 85 degrees F. I was in the process of moving in with my wife so I had to pull the sac after only a week and place it in my mechanical mom incubator. I opened the sac Thursday evening (Jan. 17) after seeing movement inside while shining a flashlight from behind. There were only a few unfertilized eggs and 208 healthy babies! {D {D {D

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Unless I'm a fool, looks like they're about to molt again!!! That's so cool, congratulations!

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not quite yet. Those little white legs would be pretty black if they were nearing another molt.
So their abdomens are normally really black and swollen like that? That one sling on the far left really looks like it's about to pop! I'm sorry, I'm just not very familiar with slings at all.

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
So their abdomens are normally really black and swollen like that? That one sling on the far left really looks like it's about to pop! I'm sorry, I'm just not very familiar with slings at all.
It's probably the lighting and congrats!!
:clap:

_bob_

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Way to go Jeff!! Let me know when they are ready. :}

dragontears

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's awesome! :clap: Good luck with the little ones!

So how long, approximately, was it between mating and dropping a sac?

Skypainter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would say the gestation period was roughly three months, the mating taking place sometime during early September. Some of the slings are very fat compared to others. Most of these fatties had leftover yellow egg membrane stuck to their mouths. I suspect these slings ate unfertilized eggs or other weaker slings.

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I never tire of seeing pics like this. Simply amazing. Put me on the list too. I'll take half a dozen...seriously!
-Sydney

SNAFU

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Me too! Don't forget us fellow Texans! :razz: I want a few when they get ready! Great pics by the way!

ErinKelley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow! that is the craziest pre-molt picture I have seen, with the blue visible under that 'shell'. Very cool picture!

sparular

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That is a great photo. My last versicolor ended up male and I'd like to own another, let me know when you want to sell these.

Skypainter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Update: molted into 2nd instars.

Roughly 190 made it through their first molt and are now very hungry!