A tarantula was left at my house

MrsTbone

Arachnopeon
I was referred here from the tarantula subreddit so I sincerely apologize if I break any rules as this is all brand new to me.

My situation is that an adult family member recently moved out of our household and left behind what he said was a Rose tarantula that he had for 5 years. I live south of Seattle. I have been buying her seven large crickets about every six weeks, but I would never have acquired a tarantula on my own. I know nothing about them, I have other pets, I work full-time, I have several children and adults plus an elderly mother living with me... You get the idea.

Some of my family members have been suggesting that I donate her to a local high school science or biology teacher, but I don't know if that would put her in danger. As surely all of you know, she's a very low maintenance pet, and I want to treat her well but just feel like she is beyond my capacity to handle in my current life situation. Would anybody on these boards who lives in the Seattle Tacoma area want a free five-year-old Rose tarantula in her own glass terrarium?

Again I want to do the best thing for her and so if that means then I need to keep her, I will, because she does deserve to be treated with dignity. It is just that unfortunately she was left here with a bunch of people who know nothing about tarantulas and never wanted to own a tarantula. She's a nice tarantula though!

Your advice is appreciated, and Please be aware that I already recognize my total ignorance about these wonderful animals.

MrsTbone

Arachnopeon
That's really kind of you, another mouth to feed is nothing, especially when you're already feeding a few anyway, you're a real star.
Yes, so very kind! The kids are thrilled she's going with an expert and the adults have been saying how it's like sending her to a farm-- such a relief!

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Do we get a pic? Is it a G. porteri? Northern gold?

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Yes, so very kind! The kids are thrilled she's going with an expert and the adults have been saying how it's like sending her to a farm-- such a relief!
Aw. I remember when I came home from school and my doggy didn't greet me. I was sad, but then my folks told me he went to live at a farm where he could run and chase rabbits! I wish I knew which farm, it's been 25 years and I'd really like to go visit him! They were kinda vague about the location, though...

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Since sadly no one is immortal and "today we are here, tomorrow who knows..." I need to take paper and pen :writer: and wrote this for my family (if something bad should happens, of course).

"Please make a DIY very huge enclosure for the Goddess*. Thank you. Chris."

Doing that... "a house was left to my Taranula" :)

* 0.1 PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her)