A tarantula that is 50% male and 50% female

WoofSpider

Arachnosquire
Wow. That's honestly incredible. I was 100% ready to cry "FAKE!" because it's on Facebook. But a little research shut me right up.

WoofSpider

Arachnosquire
Here's one that's a gyandromorphic P. subfusca. (Wish she wouldn't poke it with the tongs though).

I'm legit in awe of this. This type of mutation is something that I never would have even considered possible. Just goes to show how different the physiological evolution and development of arthropods is so different from our own. This kind of stuff is why I love arachnids.

Made a thread about a P subfusca like this.. cool stuff.
Is this the one you are talking about?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Here's one that's a gyandromorphic P. subfusca. (Wish she wouldn't poke it with the tongs though).

I'm legit in awe of this. This type of mutation is something that I never would have even considered possible. Just goes to show how different the physiological evolution and development of arthropods is so different from our own. This kind of stuff is why I love arachnids.

Is this the one you are talking about?
Aye, that's the one. They preserved the specimen when it died.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
All I can see is a ton of ball python breeders spazzing out to get one so they can market it as the first tarantula "morph". :D

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
In this case, how does ‘life span’ come about once it is matured? I am curious...

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
In this case, how does ‘life span’ come abour once it is matured? I am curious...
This is my opinion and I could be wrong, eh, but personally I think that those really extremely rare events puts an invisible 'expiration date' on the bugger, so I wouldn't expect at all the lifespan of an average (and healthy) L.nigerrimum 0.1

boina

Lady of the mites
This type of mutation
It's not a mutation, at least not in the genetic sense of the word. When cells are dividing in very early embryonal developement the sex chromosomes get divided unequally between the two daughter cells, so one ends up with a female set of chromosomes and one with a male. Most spiders have an X0 system of sex chromosomes and no Y, meaning females have two X, males have one X. If one very early cell loses one X in a bad mitosis the originally female cell becomes male while the other cell from that mitosis stays female. The cells go on dividing and form each one half of the tarantula. When this happens in a cell at a later embryonal stage you have sexual mosaicism. Just in case anyone wanted to know...:penguin:

Jonroe

Arachnopeon
All I can see is a ton of ball python breeders spazzing out to get one so they can market it as the first tarantula "morph". :D
:rofl:

Here we have an exciting new "spider setaeless yellowbelly" Theraphosa. Very unique, just ignore the wobbly walk. :troll: