A Tarantula is a Tarantula... or is it?

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I see alot of people asking whats the best OW for beginners. Do we have a top 10 in order? I know there are alot of variables but has anyone put together how they should start into the OW species?

The way I see it is all are fast, you shouldn't hold them and have a plan incase of a wet bite. With that said wouldn't all OW be the same if you respect what they are and keep them accordingly.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Steps to get into old world are pretty much just progressing through faster and faster genera and species. Psalmopoeus are usually recommended as a step to old worlds. Once you get and old world I don't really think it matters what you get. You should be experienced enough to keep whatever get and you shouldn't get something you don't think you can keep. Basically: the best starter old world is whichever one you think you can keep.

cold blood

Staff member
I see alot of people asking whats the best OW for beginners. Do we have a top 10 in order? I know there are alot of variables but has anyone put together how they should start into the OW species?

The way I see it is all are fast, you shouldn't hold them and have a plan incase of a wet bite. With that said wouldn't all OW be the same if you respect what they are and keep them accordingly.
No, they're absolutely not all the same. The best beginner OWs will be ones not stupid defensive, not super duper skittish and many times don't have quite the venom many others do....care can also play a factor....generally those kept dry, like baboons, tend to be the best.

Purely subjective...

1. A. ezendami--slower growing, so they won't advance faster than you...many OWs will easily outpace a beginners learning pace...While fast, they're typically not very defensive, and not overly bolty...easy to work around.

2. C. marshalli--tend to not be overly bolty or defensive, but more defensive than ezendami...easy to work around.

3. P. lugardi--similar characteristics to ezendami, but different...tend to be pretty calm and easy to work with.

4. M. balfouri---skittish, but not typically defensive, they web a lot and can be reclusive, but usually create nice web homes that they are happy to bolt to, making them pretty predictable.

5. C. darlingi--much like marshalli, they just tend to be more defensive IME.

6. P. muticus---like the ezendami, their slow growth will allow you to gain comfort faster than it grows....While defensive, they are classic fossorials, and if housed correctly, not bad to work around at all and not typically bolty.

7. I. Mira----super easy to keep, not defensive and small...they would be higher on the list if they were visible...it's impossible to keep track of their molt cycle....if you want to know anything about them,even how big they are, you pretty much have to dig them up...IMO a good first should help the keeper learn and advance...mira won't do that. It is a super 2nd or 3rd, and something to get down the line....it's only here because it's doable, just not ideal.

7 is all you are getting though . :meh:

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
in the case where a user may forget the one and true number one OW I will gladly remind them of H Pulchripes.
jokes aside this spider is a sweet heart, it is just one of the best OWs I have owned, that being said the only other OWs I own are P mets...

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon

As far as I know it’s up to you but just avoid H. mac, S. calc, etc if you want to go slow

Rob1985

This user has no status.
No, they're absolutely not all the same. The best beginner OWs will be ones not stupid defensive, not super duper skittish and many times don't have quite the venom many others do....care can also play a factor....generally those kept dry, like baboons, tend to be the best.

Purely subjective...

1. A. ezendami--slower growing, so they won't advance faster than you...many OWs will easily outpace a beginners learning pace...While fast, they're typically not very defensive, and not overly bolty...easy to work around.

2. C. marshalli--tend to not be overly bolty or defensive, but more defensive than ezendami...easy to work around.

3. P. lugardi--similar characteristics to ezendami, but different...tend to be pretty calm and easy to work with.

4. M. balfouri---skittish, but not typically defensive, they web a lot and can be reclusive, but usually create nice web homes that they are happy to bolt to, making them pretty predictable.

6. P. muticus---like the ezendami, their slow growth will allow you to gain comfort faster than it grows....While defensive, they are classic fossorials, and if housed correctly, not bad to work around at all and not typically bolty.

7. I. Mira----super easy to keep, not defensive and small...they would be higher on the list if they were visible...it's impossible to keep track of their molt cycle....if you want to know anything about them,even how big they are, you pretty much have to dig them up...IMO a good first should help the keeper learn and advance...mira won't do that. It is a super 2nd or 3rd, and something to get down the line....it's only here because it's doable, just not ideal.

+1 for P. lugardi... they are highly underrated! In my 10+ years of keeping I find them to much less defensive than their cousin P. murinus. They're awesome and seem be more difficult to find due to lack of breeding projects and if my memory serves me correct, there are African US import restrictions.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +

Purely subjective...

Thanks for the detailed right up. Good info here. Should put me in the right direction. I like the, I. Mira, p.muticus, and m. balfouri. Actually I think M. balfouri is one if my favorite OW, when i comes to looks.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The way I see it is all are fast, you shouldn't hold them and have a plan incase of a wet bite.
Leaving the beginner-friendly, 'pet rocks' T's out for a moment (they are everything but not fast at all) all of those points goes for every Theraphosidae.

No T's should be handled, no matter, and when they manage to tag you (which is a pretty rare event, however, even if that's an almost impossible fact to understand for non keepers people) it's 99% a wet bite :writer:

As far speed only, I viewed NW ones definitely more fast than certain OW's. Ephebopus species are able to perform a 40 cm enclosure 'coast to coast' in two seconds, if they want... definitely more faster than the likes of C.marshalli etc

OW's T's are, historically, 'permeated' with an aura of 'Myth' etc while, in the process, a lot of fast, pretty defensive, mildly venomous (say Psalmopoeus species) T's are underestimated only because NW's.

sasker

Arachnoprince
and have a plan incase of a wet bite.
Of course! Every self-respecting tarantula keeper must have antidote for every OW he has in his collection at an easily reachable place. It would be irresponsible not to do this! :troll:

Seriously though, there is not a whole lot one can do after a bite than to clench one's teeth and to wait until the pain subsides. I think you can only mentally prepare for this. Or decide for yourself that you never want to get bitten. Tarantula bites do occur, but they are pretty much always the result of human error.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Of course! Every self-respecting tarantula keeper must have antidote for every OW he has in his collection at an easily reachable place. It would be irresponsible not to do this! :troll:

Seriously though, there is not a whole lot one can do after a bite than to clench one's teeth and to wait until the pain subsides. I think you can only mentally prepare for this. Or decide for yourself that you never want to get bitten. Tarantula bites do occur, but they are pretty much always the result of human error.
Pfft... people make it out to be a death sentence. Drink some water, take some tylenol, rub dirt in the bite site and carry on! :D

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
Make sure they got a hide/burrow to run into so they won't bolt out of its enclosure instead.