A (stupid) Usambara question

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My Usambara molted a few days ago. Now it has become high queen psychopath and I am having a difficult time transfering it to a larger enclosure. It's not only biting the tongs, but because I am afraid of hurtimg it, when I grab it with the tongs she runs at me! Scared the *expletive* out of me earlier today. I say the potato spider in the tub thing, but I am afraid she will get away from me and run up the tub!
Since there isn't an arachnid tranquilizer gun, do you all have any suggestions other than just dumping her in a new enclosure?

I had NO idea this thing would get THIS feisty after a molt! I love it, but I am pretty scared of getting bit again. She still hasn't eaten what I have given her and I think she is eyeballing me as a snack.

spiff

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
go ahead and do it in the tub, but make sure the tub isnt dry. T's seem to have a tough time running/crawling up vertical surfaces when they are wet. least thats been my experience.

spiff

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hahhaahah.....okay maybe the tub idea isnt so hot.

i purposely bought aggressive spiders, like the thai black, cobalt, and i have a tan-phase OBT that was mean until i brought her home. now i cant even get her to give a threat posture.

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I used a two-pot method for transferring a T that I didn't want escaping. (And I am a chicken.) I use little plastic plant pots for hides. One was already in the T enclosure. I nudged/coaxed him into the hide. I carefully lowered the other pot (exact same size as the hide pot) down and over the front of the pot with the T. (If your OBT is super nasty, I suppose you could lower the second pot with tongs and push it into place.) Anyway, once the pots are face to face with the T inside, you just pick it all up and transfer the trapped T to the new home, or to the waiting place home or wherever. Good luck!

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You could always try the refridgerator method to slow it down.....

Barring that, I've transferred one of my meanies by getting it to attack a paintbrush, then I picked the paintbrush/spider combo up while it was hanging onto the bristles, and just moved it to it's new home....

Ideas anyway. Be careful, if it escapes, you'll get it wrangled, and you'll chalk up more spider experience points!

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
u could also stick its old enclosure in the new one so it crawls out or something?? refrigirator method works too but don't do it too long or it may die.

mike

btw how big is it

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I always put my OBT in the fridge for about ten minutes. Slows her down a lot. Last time I transfered her she just went from one container to the other. I just put the tanks in the bath tub, took her out of the fridge, and gave her a little nudge. She's still scary as hell at times though. Good luck.

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think that since she just molted, give her a bit longer and a chance to eat first before you move her. When we moved ours, we just put a clear cup over her and carefully slid a piece of cardboard under the bottom (open end) of it, carried him over to his new home, set him in there with the cardboard and cup, then just took the cup off of him...not a prob, although I did have to wash the venom off of the cup. LOL

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Ahh I like Metzger's idea!! It still hasn't eaten. I do have an idea though.... I can put the entire smaller enclosure in a 10 or 20 gal tank and hope it gets out :p Right now it is hiding , which it usually doesn't do, so I will throw a couple of crix in there and hope for the best. I can't believe I am such a chicken with this one! But I AM chicken... when I felt how hard it nailed the tongs yesterday I decided I wouldn't get bitten by this one or provide the slightest opportunity for it :p

Fenris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh don't be a wuss! Just pick her up and put her in her new enclosure! ;P ;)

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
Dont use tongs to pick her up!! Youll hurt her!!! When I move mine I used the deli cup dropped ontop of her and the lid slid under..Gets the ole ticker a pumpin but its safer for her than grabing her with tongs. good luck..crazy things anyway.

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Ok, Betty : Where did you get the Usambara nyquil to sedate that thing??? LOL! You're nuts :)

Nah, I am not doing the tong thing, I would have to hold her too tight to keep her from attacking me and I don't want to hurt her. I have a plan anyway :) I am going to let her settle for a while since she just molted and wait for her to eat. Hopefully she will eat a bunch and will be a bit sluggish and I can get her in a deli cup. Right now she has webbed herself a new hide and seems to be taking it easy, so I am not going to get her going again :) What I have is probably big enough for her, but I kind of wanted to give her more room. I am prolly just being anal :)