A Small Tarantula Fact From my Asian Language.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Well.... I'm bored and here's a little interesting fact. Asian OW Terrestrials T's located in the areas around Vietnam, Thailand, and Laos have the common name "tiger" in it for their T.'s. Like "Thai Tiger", "Earth Tiger", etc. As an Asian-american, the way we call any tarantula (one word in English) to my language is translated to-- "Tiger spider" (two words in my language). A little other fact about our language is that bug/insect/arachnid can share the same word. Also, if you wonder why tiger in tarantula? well.... My dad says back in Laos, tarantulas fangs are similar to a tigers, hence; why we call it like we do in our language as "tiger spider" for all T.'s. So tarantula is two words in our language, while in English it's one.

Last edited:

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I wish, back in Laos, tarantula fangs were similar to puppies, so we could’ve called tarantulas, puppy spider. Awww.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That is a cool fun fact, thank you for sharing!

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Post was unclear... insect and arachnid both have the same word for tiger in all their names?
Let me explain as clear as possible. No, Tiger is a separate word in general. But spider/bug/insect will share the same word, basically just one word to categorize them in general, not specific. Our language for tarantula (which is one word in english) is translated into two words "Tiger spider". So to us, "tiger spider" in our language means tarantula or any T. in general. But if you want to be more specific, it translates into specifics as "Tiger ground spider" (as I can best translate it).

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Let me explain as clear as possible. No, Tiger is a separate word in general. But spider/bug/insect will share the same word, basically just one word to categorize them in general, not specific. Our language for tarantula (which is one word in english) is translated into two words "Tiger spider". So to us, "tiger spider" in our language means tarantula or any T. in general. But if you want to be more specific, it translates into specifics as "Tiger ground spider" (as I can best translate it).
OK I knew that from your first post. But if it's a Praying Mantis, the word Tiger is in there too?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
OK I knew that from your first post. But if it's a Praying Mantis, the word Tiger is in there too?
tarantulas in our language are the only arachnids/insects/bugs that has tiger in its name for some odd reason. Praying mantis is its own word, which doesn't really translate to anything specific that I am aware of. Our people just call them as "fighting bugs" in our language, because people use them as a battle entertainment back in the day. So no on the tiger for other bugs, besides the tarantula that I am aware of.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
tarantulas in our language are the only arachnids/insects/bugs that has tiger in its name for some odd reason. Praying mantis is its own word, which doesn't really translate to anything specific that I am aware of. Our people just call them as "fighting bugs" in our language, because people use them as a battle entertainment back in the day. So no on the tiger for other bugs, besides the tarantula that I am aware of.
Thanks for clearing that up. It's your use of arachnids/insects bugs in your sentences this confusing me up. Your first post reads to me at least that they all share the same word for Tiger. Now your last post indicates that is not true. So as far as I can tell, insects' names have nothing to do with tarantula names over there.

Yeah, I'm aware of the fighting over there. The USA isn't any better.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
My dad says back in Laos, tarantulas fangs are similar to a tigers, hence; why we call it like we do in our language as "tiger spider" for all T.'s.
Your dad is mistaken, they arent called "Earth Tigers" or "Tiger spiders" because of they're fangs, all tarantulas have the same anatomy when it comes to the mouth parts(fangs that move up and down instead of sideways)...its one of the main characteristics that groups them into the Theraphosidae family of spiders.

This is misinformation that was likely passed along to him at some point, and it would be easy for someone who isn't well versed on tarantulas to make that assumption. The name has everything to do with the patterning on the abdomens, and their burrowing tendencies...hence the name - Earth Tiger tarantula, this pertains to all Ornithoctoninae.

You should really read up some more on the subfamily in question, before you attempt to educate others. I just recently started a thread on this topic. http://arachnoboards.com/threads/ornithoctoninae-care-and-info.314993/

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Your dad is mistaken, they arent called "Earth Tigers" or "Tiger spiders" because of they're fangs, all tarantulas have the same anatomy when it comes to the mouth parts(fangs that move up and down instead of sideways)...its one of the main characteristics that groups them into the Theraphosidae family of spiders.

This is misinformation that was likely passed along to him at some point, and it would be easy for someone who isn't well versed on tarantulas to make that assumption. The name has everything to do with the patterning on the abdomens, and their burrowing tendencies...hence the name - Earth Tiger tarantula, this pertains to all Ornithoctoninae.

You should really read up some more on the subfamily in question, before you attempt to educate others. I just recently started a thread on this topic. http://arachnoboards.com/threads/ornithoctoninae-care-and-info.314993/
While it does seem that way, my dad was raised in a village. So I can't really say that he was a genius, since he was kinda primitive. He did went to school, and got a degree here in America. But the assumption here was to basically describe what we call tarantulas in our language. Not to "anatomically" determine what makes an earth tiger an earth tiger. That's kind of the point where you went off. I wasn't scientifically trying to prove anything, but rather inform why in our language we call it that way. While there are characteristics that makes and earth tiger T. what it is. I think the way you see it is through scientific means and not the way we call "tarantula" in our language. I know my dads assumptions are not the best about how the name sticked on. But our people was literally what made the common name of any "tiger" T. through how it was translated. So in short, this is a translation fact, not an anatomically scientific fact. And yes, my dad was told this in his village, so don't hate on the thing what he was told, because this goes back long before you was born and before, when the T. hobby barely made its appearance.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
While it does seem that way, my dad was raised in a village. So I can't really say that he was a genius, since he was kinda primitive. He did went to school, and got a degree here in America. But the assumption here was to basically describe what we call tarantulas in our language. Not to "anatomically" determine what makes an earth tiger an earth tiger. That's kind of the point where you went off. I wasn't scientifically trying to prove anything, but rather inform why in our language we call it that way. While there are characteristics that makes and earth tiger T. what it is. I think the way you see it is through scientific means and not the way we call "tarantula" in our language. I know my dads assumptions are not the best about how the name sticked on. But our people was literally what made the common name of any "tiger" T. through how it was translated. So in short, this is a translation fact, not an anatomically scientific fact. And yes, my dad was told this in his village, so don't hate on the thing what he was told, because this goes back long before you was born and before, when the T. hobby barely made its appearance.
Hate? Shame that you view it that way, I was correcting the plainly erroneous "fact" that you presented in this thread. I dont care if you're offended, its the truth. There are plenty of ridiculous myths/beliefs that stem from generations ago...doesn't make them any more factual.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Hate? Shame that you view it that way, I was correcting the plainly erroneous "fact" that you presented in this thread. I dont care if you're offended, its the truth. There are plenty of ridiculous myths/beliefs that stem from generations ago...doesn't make them any more factual.
Agree, but the way you responded was worded in a way that it seemed like it was almost offensive. So maybe I definitely misread it. Sorry about that, but while the translation part is true, the other part can be considered outdated, because he was told way so long ago. So I typed it in the way he was told back then about how the name got stuck. But I don't blame him, I mean he moved to America during the time of the Vietnam war. So it shouldn't be obvious how outdated info was back them. But even then, it is interesting how Tarantula translates in our language.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member

I think you missed the whole point of this post with this whole sequence of statements and it quite frankly comes off as arrogant. One can't say someone is right or wrong for the association between two unrelated animals which gives meaning to the vernacular term of one of those animals. If one or more people in a south east Asian village are reminded of a tiger's large teeth, which I assume would be the incisors, when seeing the fangs of a theraphosid spider which occurs in the same region then so be it. I am willing to bet there would be more than one answer to where the "tiger" in "tiger spider" or "earth tiger" would come from depending on who you ask. Some would say because of a tiger's teeth, while others would say it is because of the abdominal chevrons on the tarantula bearing a resemblance to a tiger's stripes. Both would make sense and both associations would neither be right or wrong.

In no way shape or form is anyone attempting to educate someone else on the tarantulas of south east Asia. This post was meant to provide insight on what tarantulas are called in Asia and why. We are being educated on native terminology, not the spiders themselves. By the same reasoning made above, we are all spreading misinformation and need to be educated on tarantulas by using the word "tarantula" to refer to spiders of the family Theraphosidae. You know, since the word "tarantula" comes from the association of theraphosid spiders with the lycosid spider Lycosa tarantula (Linnaeus, 1758).

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I think you missed the whole point of this post with this whole sequence of statements and it quite frankly comes off as arrogant. One can't say someone is right or wrong for the association between two unrelated animals which gives meaning to the vernacular term of one of those animals. If one or more people in a south east Asian village are reminded of a tiger's large teeth, which I assume would be the incisors, when seeing the fangs of a theraphosid spider which occurs in the same region then so be it. I am willing to bet there would be more than one answer to where the "tiger" in "tiger spider" or "earth tiger" would come from depending on who you ask. Some would say because of a tiger's teeth, while others would say it is because of the abdominal chevrons on the tarantula bearing a resemblance to a tiger's stripes. Both would make sense and both associations would neither be right or wrong.
Its as simple as realizing that the similarities between they're fangs and tiger teeth are not the reason the subfamily carries that moniker. That would imply that every single tarantula is a tiger spider, theres a clear distinction that you're missing...the exact distinction that makes this subfamily unique. The forum is about spreading the correct information, if you think my post came across as arrogant your reading into things too much...and missing the actual point of the post.
In no way shape or form is anyone attempting to educate someone else on the tarantulas of south east Asia. This post was meant to provide insight on what tarantulas are called in Asia and why. We are being educated on native terminology, not the spiders themselves. By the same reasoning made above, we are all spreading misinformation and need to be educated on tarantulas by using the word "tarantula" to refer to spiders of the family Theraphosidae. You know, since the word "tarantula" comes from the association of theraphosid spiders with the lycosid spider Lycosa tarantula (Linnaeus, 1758).
Actually it doesn't, and that was not my reasoning at all. So because they were erroneously called that in the past, you think that makes them tarantulas now? Thats a completely irrelevant straw man argument IMO. Theraphosidae now refers to tarantulas, no error whatsoever in the terminology there. While you're at it, will you go ahead and say Cyriopagopus is an erroneous genus because they were formerly Haplopelma? Point being, information evolves, and constantly gets better and more accurate, if you cant see the value in correcting false beliefs, thats on you not me.

I could bring up countless cultural myths that revolve around arachnids, all of which are fallacies, and stem from opinion not fact. Should I start a thread in T chat about all these myths and call them truths? Just because some people believe them in other countries?
:banghead:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
That would imply that every single tarantula is a tiger spider
That's one where you interpreted confusingly and I understand. In my language, the word translated as "tiger spider" is used to categorize all T.'s in this world. It doesn't matter if it's a Pokie, Pampho, Aphonopelma, or Theraphosa. My people will just call it "tiger spider" as it's pronounced/translated in our language for tarantula (any in general). I know my language is more complex than the urban dictionary and it is one of the most confusing languages in the world. And it's way more confusing than English, so I can't explain it in simpler forms. So in short, my people will just call it "tiger Spider" despite what T. it is (super confusing, but bear with me). Because back before, they thought that T.'s was only in where they live. And when it was shown that there were more kinds of T.'s out in the world. We just called it as "tiger spider", because it was better to resort our language as simplistic in general.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
That's one where you interpreted confusingly and I understand. In my language, the word translated as "tiger spider" is used to categorize all T.'s in this world. It doesn't matter if it's a Pokie, Pampho, Aphonopelma, or Theraphosa. My people will just call it "tiger spider" as it's pronounced/translated in our language for tarantula (any in general). I know my language is more complex than the urban dictionary and it is one of the most confusing languages in the world. And it's way more confusing than English, so I can't explain it in simpler forms. So in short, my people will just call it "tiger Spider" despite what T. it is (super confusing, but bear with me). Because back before, they thought that T.'s was only in where they live. And when it was shown that there were more kinds of T.'s out in the world. We just called it as "tiger spider", because it was better to resort our language as simplistic in general.
What is the language, and the word used for tarantula, if I may ask?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
What is the language, and the word used for tarantula, if I may ask?
The language we speak is Hmong, and it is one of those languages that has branched off from another language. And if you're asking how it's spelled in our language I can't say. I never grew up writing the language, rather I just speak it. The pronunciation is in three syllables, and if you want, I will "try" my best to type out how it's pronounced. Sadly, this language is on the decline and really destined to disappear in the next few generations. While google translate is available, it is terrible at translating.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
So, the word you use in the Hmong language for "tarantula" would translate literally into English as "tiger spider," correct?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
And to think that I was under the impression that 'Earth' and 'Tiger' derivated, as a tribute, from the pillars of Chinese deity etc like the Shanghai tower; the Temple of Heaven; the Temple of Earth; last but not least the 'Four Symbols': White Tiger, Black Turtle, Vermillion Bird, Azure Dragon... oh, a man can dream, a man can dream :writer:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
So, the word you use in the Hmong language for "tarantula" would translate literally into English as "tiger spider," correct?
Yes in general. But if you want to be super specific it can be taken as "tiger ground spider". I'll teach the pronunciation below. I gotta say, what makes this language hard is how it is used. Since our vocabulary is not as expansive as English. One word can have like 5 definitions based on sentence structure.
Note: This is how to pronounce and spell it. It is spelled as "Kab Laum Tsov". But oddly "Kab" and Laum goes close together when spoken. With "tsov" being on its own.
"Kab" is pronounced as "ka" but with the K sounding like a G. Translating to bug,spider, or insect
"Laub" is pronounced as "Lau" without the B, which makes it easy. Translating into ground, depending on defintion and dialect.
"Tsov" is tiger, but is hard to pronounced when typed, but way easier to learn in person. As simple as I can make it to be, it's like "jaw", but with a "ch" in between "J" and "aw". I know it's hard to grip, but it's as easy as I can to say it for you folk.

Status
Not open for further replies.