A. seemanni not eating.

Kevmaster06

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
it has not eaten since i got it so im kinda worried. i have had it for about three weeks. it is about 4.5 inches. and is not in pre molt. Also it appears to be fine but pretty soon its going to get skinny.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
but pretty soon its going to get skinny.
Trust me, no it won't. Tarantulas can go months and months and MONTHS without eating if they're healthy and they feel like doing so. Unless you see actual shrivelling or something, don't even worry about it. :)

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
that thing could probably go as long or longer than a G. rosea with out eating lol
Aphonopelma are probably even slower than the G. rosea lol at everything lol

SNAFU

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Kev I have 2 A.Seemani's, a dirty looking brown color form and a gorgeous black one with bold stripes. My darker one eats every now and then but the brown one just has ignored the crickets for the past 6-7 weeks. I toss a cricket in right to her and she just sits. Don't get stressed though about your Zebra, just keep the water dish full and it will eat when its ready.

JayzunBoget

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
acclimation

When animals (including us) are moved into a new environment, this can cause varying amounts of stress. This stress can express itself physically in a number of ways, such as; decreased appetite, depressed or (worse case scenario) completely shutdown digestive system, depressed immune system.
Different species tend to deal with acclimation better or worse, tho' every individual can be unique. A. seemani is often considered a good first time T, even tho' it is most often offered wild caught, because it tends to deal well with the stress of acclimation.
As long as it has a decent booty on it, and you do what you can to minimize stress factors, she'll eat when she is comfortable. Stress factors can involve in cage disturbances, vibrations from heavy foot traffic or speakers (pc speakers count!).:embarrassed:
And don't sweat 3 weeks. Just wait till she makes you sweat through 3-6 months of premolt fasting when she is older!:eek:

Last edited:

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
When animals (including us) are moved into a new environment, this can cause varying amounts of stress. This stress can express itself physically in a number of ways, such as; decreased appetite, depressed or (worse case scenario) completely shutdown digestive system, depressed immune system.
Different species tend to deal with acclimation better or worse, tho' every individual can be unique. A. seemani is often considered a good first time T, even tho' it is most often offered wild caught, because it tends to deal well with the stress of acclimation.
As long as it has a decent booty on it, and you do what you can to minimize stress factors, she'll eat when she is comfortable. Stress factors can involve in cage disturbances, vibrations from heavy foot traffic or speakers (pc speakers count!).:embarrassed:
And don't sweat 3 weeks. Just wait till she makes you sweat through 3-6 months of premolt fasting when she is older!:eek:

probably getting ready to drop an egg sac lol or molt

Kevmaster06

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok thanks for the advice. should i put a towel over its cage and put it in my closet or something?

BTW i was worried because i thought only roseas do this lol

common spider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just let it be and make shure it has water mine have gone without eating for months and they are just fine.Try to feed it once a week and if it does not eat make shure to take the food out as it can cause stress on the T.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ive owned both brown A. seemani and the famous black colored ones and both of them went extremely long periods of time without eating. One went about 8 months AFTER a molt... I am not sure why they do this but i have a "hunch" that it has something to do with the temperature and humidity, seeing how both specimens started this behavior around the September as it got cooler and carried it on until spring or summer. Dont worry about it though, just make sure they have access to water and they will be fine.
-Nate

JayzunBoget

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
...I am not sure why they do this but i have a "hunch" that it has something to do with the temperature and humidity, seeing how both specimens started this behavior around the September as it got cooler and carried it on until spring or summer...
-Nate
A lot of the reptiles, amphibians, and inverts that I deal with go through this every year, except usually the first one. I call it "winter slowdown". It's not hibernation, exactly. The deeper into winter it gets, the more I notice customers coming in more rarely for feeders and more people with questions about non-feeding animals.
I tell them that as long they they have a healthy, comfortable living space that provides for their needs, they are likely to eat less and be less active until the days start getting longer.
When the heat rises again and remains more stable, so too rises these creatures appetites.