A. Seemanni Husbandry Questions

Abyssmu

Arachnopeon
I got my A. seemanni at the end of October. This is my first and only T. I set it up in a Kritter Keeper with a water dish and a small hide. I do not remember which substrate is in with it, but it can be seen in the pictures. I'd say it started burrowing after about 6-7 weeks. It was a bit before Christmas.

Was doing well up until ~3.5 weeks ago, it stopped eating. I tried again the next week to no avail. I let it be the next week. I was doing some research on it and learned that I had too little substrate in the keeper. So I cleaned out it's tank on the 29th of Jan and added more substrate. (Side note: I still think I don't have enough, but it's all I had and I don't want to disturb it right now)

I know that fasting is a sign of an impending molt, but I don't see any other signs (shiny abdomen, reclusivity, etc.).

The pictures of me holding it are from then. I know holding is pretty taboo, but I have never held a T before, and really wanted to do it. I also wanted to try and get some up close pictures to try and sex it from visual cues (despite not being 100% accurate, I want an idea until it molts). Anyway, I figured holding it would stress it out a little bit, but that is why I did not feed it last week and tried this week.

Wednesdays or Thursdays are feeding days. I tried again yesterday with no success. Up until today, it had been in its hide the whole time and appeared to have its legs spread comfortably. Poor thing is definitely stressed again, though. Sitting outside of its hide with its legs brought in currently. Before I put it away, I took some more pictures of it. I thought its abdomen looked a little smaller than it did last week. It's not shriveled or anything, but does look a bit smaller. It could be me being overly concerned and just seeing things, but that is why I took pictures.

I also took pictures of the room that it is kept in and the surrounding area to give an image of the type of traffic that it sees. Over the past week, especially the past couple days, I have tried to really limit the traffic to the room. It is impossible to get rid of the noises outside the door due to the bathroom and our room being right next to it. The cats also play outside the door causing a ruckus. No meowing or shrieking, just some banging around. Occasionally hitting the doors. I have been in there somewhat frequently in the past weeks. I've been organizing and cleaning (no chemicals are allowed in the room as its where we keep all our reptiles as well). I had also been working on getting the plants setup and a few things planted (stupidly decided to do it in the apartment but didn't want to be that awkward guy out on the sidewalk planting stuff). So I vacuumed in there a couple times a few days ago. I'm sure that definitely did not help.

I know Ts are very hardy and can handle a lot, and can also go for quite awhile without feeding. The only reason I am starting this thread is due to me thinking the abdomen has shrunk a little. I'm fairly certain most of my husbandry has been on point.

Temps: 75+ (no heat lamps or pads or anything)
Humid: 40+ in the room. I keep the water dish filled by pouring water over the top of the keeper to let it rain down, and soak the substrate as well as fill the dish.
Dish: Cleaned every 2-3 weeks usually. Was every couple of days because it always filled it with substrate... Gave up on that.
Noise: Probably a little loud, but I've been really trying to cut it all back the past few days to help.
Light: The room has windows and gets decent daylight throughout the day and direct sunlight for about 3-4 hours in the evening. It is also illuminated by the lamp (it's for the plants) that does not shine directly on the T. Pretty sure the lamp is on a 14h timer from 6am to 8pm. At night, the only light is a red heat lamp for the ball python above it. So no light really goes in the keeper.

Even if it's not losing weight, I do want to work on getting it less stressed. I have already noted the less noise. I was thinking about adding some black poster board to three of the sides as with the large tank above that keeps a ball python. I also have plans to upgrade it to a better keeper later on. I saw a nice tutorial on how to turn a plastic display case into a very nice one. I don't want to move it until I get this figured out. So that will probably be a month or so from now.

Approximately how long do you guys think I should leave it alone for? It hasn't eaten in 23 days. As can be seen in the last picture. I like to keep track of feedings and sheds and growth. I go in the room at least once a day to check on everybody and the plants. So I keep a diligent eye on the T.

I know I just wrote a book here, but I wanted to paint the clearest picture I could so that I can get everything addressed. If you did read it all, thanks. I'd appreciate any input on this. Thanks!

IMG_1049.jpg
IMG_1050.jpg
IMG_1089.jpg
IMG_1129.jpg
IMG_1130.jpg
IMG_1131.jpg
IMG_1134.jpg
IMG_1135.jpg
IMG_1136.jpg
IMG_1137.jpg

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Spider that size feeding once or twice a month is fine. Since I don't know which cages its in, I'll just say aim for sub about legspan deep. Likely just early premolt, leave it alone to dig and do nothing in peace.

Noise isn't too big of a issue, I play music in the spider room and have a tv hooked up.

I wouldn't attempt live plants with a spider that burrows alot, but it's your funeral.

Ztesch

Arachnoknight
I gave my A. Seemani about 5 inches of substrate and he immediately started burrowing. When he went into premolt he totally closed of his burrow for at least a month probably more like 6 weeks. If he's not taking food, just wait a week and try again. After trying a couple weeks and he keeps denying food then you will know he is in premolt.

Abyssmu

Arachnopeon
Spider that size feeding once or twice a month is fine. Since I don't know which cages its in, I'll just say aim for sub about legspan deep. Likely just early premolt, leave it alone to dig and do nothing in peace.

Noise isn't too big of a issue, I play music in the spider room and have a tv hooked up.

I wouldn't attempt live plants with a spider that burrows alot, but it's your funeral.
I gave my A. Seemani about 5 inches of substrate and he immediately started burrowing. When he went into premolt he totally closed of his burrow for at least a month probably more like 6 weeks. If he's not taking food, just wait a week and try again. After trying a couple weeks and he keeps denying food then you will know he is in premolt.
Good to know that noise isn't much of an issue. The T is in the blue topped keeper on the right hand side below the large tank. I forgot to mark it in the pictures... My bad. Also, I don't have live plants in with it. Just in the room. I try not to put any in with my animals. Especially one that is so skittish. I will definitely keep an eye out for signs of premolt. I have yet to experience it, so the only references I have are pictures on the internet.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I agree that it definitely would appreciate more substrate. And from what I heard this species likes a bit more moisture in the sub, but I'm not sure how wet the sub is gonna get when you "rain on it". o_O

@Tomoran has a nice little husbandry video for it:

Maybe this helps. :)

Ztesch

Arachnoknight
Ya I overfill the water dish a bit when I fill up the water. This is the only T I have springtails for, as they help with mold and sometimes I can't reach the food boluses in the burrow.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Were those pictures taken around the same time or were the last few of the tarantula taken later than the handling ones? If I'm seeing correctly in the pictures, it's without a doubt premolt. In the third picture (the ones before it too, but especially the third), it appears that there's two large bald patches on it's abdomen that are a relatively tan color. But in all the following ones, the bald spots look much more of a greyish-black. That's exactly what would happen to the bald patches as it got closer and closer to molting

Last edited:

boina

Lady of the mites
Tarantulas can go for months without feeding, so don't worry about that. They eat when they eat. Also, I agree with everything @PidderPeets said - it really looks like your tarantula is going to molt soon in the later pics, so please leave her alone - completely alone.

Stress, noise, etc. is the most overrated factor ever with tarantulas. You really think it's more quiet in nature? My tarantulas have to deal with cats jumping on top of the shelving units and all over the place all day and do just fine. They don't even flinch or hide at all. A stress position usually indicates too little shelter or a new environment - didn't you say you just rehoused her and put more substrate in? Substrate should also be tightly packed, they don't appreciate lose stuff - makes it hard to walk for them. Noise and jumping cats are fine, even during premolt.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Yeah 23 days without eating isnt that big of a deal. My G pulchra sling has been burried for about 60 days without eating. The cool thing is that it burrowed up against the side of the delli cup so I can see it whenever I want to. Im hoping it molts soon. But it looks fine. Its always frustrating when you get your first t's and they just wont eat. Its kind of scary when they burry themselves cus you just dont know when they will come out. This is why you shpuld get a few more t's if your comfortable doing so. That way somebody else is eating and moving about while your waiting around.

Abyssmu

Arachnopeon
I appreciate the advice, guys. I suppose it's just beginner nerves. I'm accustomed to snakes, where the most definitive sign of shed is almost entirely blurry eyes. Though, in retrospect, I believe I was just as worried when my first stopped eating for a few weeks. But that was due to stress coupled with molting.

Anyway, a couple weeks or so after the little guy molts, I'll get in and double the substrate and pack it down quite a bit. Thanks again!

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I appreciate the advice, guys. I suppose it's just beginner nerves. I'm accustomed to snakes, where the most definitive sign of shed is almost entirely blurry eyes. Though, in retrospect, I believe I was just as worried when my first stopped eating for a few weeks. But that was due to stress coupled with molting.

Anyway, a couple weeks or so after the little guy molts, I'll get in and double the substrate and pack it down quite a bit. Thanks again!
Let us know when the cutie molts! You can post pictures of the molt on here/the sexing picture thread if you'd like and we can try to confirm a sex as well. It should be easy enough with a T that size, as long as the molt doesn't get destroyed.

Also, keep in mind that when you do add more substrate, the T might not utilize it immediately. I gave my girl 4 or 5 inches of substrate right from the start, but she didn't start burrowing until after about 3 1/2 months in my care. Admittedly, some may never make a burrow at all, but it's just easier to give them the option. Even if it's for no other reason than reducing the distance from the top of the enclosure to the substrate.

Abyssmu

Arachnopeon
Let us know when the cutie molts! You can post pictures of the molt on here/the sexing picture thread if you'd like and we can try to confirm a sex as well. It should be easy enough with a T that size, as long as the molt doesn't get destroyed.
We got a really great molt! Woke up today and she was on her back on the mat. It was a good sight to see. Now she is all bright and pretty! I am like 95% sure that I've got a girl. I just want an expert's opinion on it since this is my first T.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
We got a really great molt! Woke up today and she was on her back on the mat. It was a good sight to see. Now she is all bright and pretty! I am like 95% sure that I've got a girl. I just want an expert's opinion on it since this is my first T.

I literally just responded on the media post! :rofl: You've got yourself a lady :)