A Seemanni Docile?

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just picked up an A Seemanni from a pet shop and this is the first on that I have ever had.

I thought this species was supposed to be docile? I would compare my new zebra's tempermant to something like a cobalt.

I am curios to hear about other experiances with this particulare T. Looking forward to your responses.

-Charlie

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i had always thought they were docile but people here say that they arent.

kellygirl

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They like to run...

But they tend not to bite. Basically they are just more on the flighty side than a lot of species that would really be the only drawback to them if you even count that as a drawback.

Phil

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
my A. seemani . when i got her she was docile/ nervous. i handled her a few times with no problems other than her being skittish. slightest breeze would send her running. shes still the same now, and in the year ive had her ive seen only 2 threat postures although she does on occasion kick hair. in fact since the big move her abdomen is virtually bald. at any rate she has never seemed overly defensive. i dont normally handle her though, only because of the distress it seems to cause her. one of my fav t's hands down.

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This species seems to be very widely behaved... every person will probably tell you different because individual specimens in this species seem to have such marked different "personalities"

I have had 3 of them so far...

1) Adult female was very skittish and would run and hide at the slightest sign of anything moving... wouldn't have called her aggressive though

2) A juvi male... pretty calm but doesnt often really come out of his burrow long enough for me to interact with him... seems to enjoy being misted though unlike any of my others

3) An adult female... very calm and friendly! I can even hand feed her because she is so gentle

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very Hostile

Strage how different all of your replies are. Let me tell you how she reacts to anything.....

She rears up and shows a threat posture just like that way cool B smithi on eight legged freaks. I took a pencil and tried to move her away from her water dish so that I could fill it (Accidentaly spilled her water transfering her to my room) and she bit the damn pencil, grabbed it and almost got my finger.

I think I was just lucy encough to get a phsyco spider thats all.

-Charlie

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have had two. Both were adult females. The first one was mean as hell and all she did was attack any water I poured into the cage, any living thing, any dead thing, any scoop or tongs. I am surprised she didnt attack herself when she moved. The one i have right now is just flighty. SHe only flicked hair when the adult mouse was in with her and she wanted nothing to do with it.

Jono_mad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Re: Very Hostile

Originally posted by Charlie
I think I was just lucy encough to get a phsyco spider thats all.

-Charlie
i want to get a phsyco spider eventually. what's the meanest spider i could get? p.murinus?
Jono

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by JacenBeers
I have had two. Both were adult females. The first one was mean as hell and all she did was attack any water I poured into the cage, any living thing, any dead thing, any scoop or tongs. I am surprised she didnt attack herself when she moved. The one i have right now is just flighty. SHe only flicked hair when the adult mouse was in with her and she wanted nothing to do with it.
I wouldn't confuse that behavior with aggression. I have some pretty docile T's that will attack the water or other things that they associate with feeding. It sounds like your seemani was just a ravenous eater. Usually, a T won't just instantly attack something when it's in it's aggressive mode. They're more prone to slap kick or threaten (maybe strike) when acting defensive/aggresive. The instantanious pouncing you describe sounds more like a feeding response. Just letting you know. :)

Atrax

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My seemani is 4 inches, and she is amazingly fast, and rather skittish, but im pretty sure youd really have to piss her off before she'd bite instead of run. She is like all my other tarantulas though, i couldn't get them to kick hairs if i tried!! maybe im just lucky :D but who knows.

Mark

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
My A seemanni is the first spider I ever purchased :)
I would characterize this one as, flighty, nervous, fast, and semi defensive. I don't handle it, since it seems to cause it undo stress, unlike some of my others that are much calmer

najig21

Arachnopeon
My A. seemanni was the first spider I acquired. I used to handle Liz, but then she started kicking hairs and rearing up on her back legs. She never bit, though. I tested her a few times, and she just stood there in the reared up position. She eats, though. If something goes in the cage, it's dead within 5 minutes. Makes for good videos. They're just skittish, although a tarantula is like a person. You can say that Homo sapien is fairly docile, but there's always the ones that just aren't right.

baker

Arachnopeon
A Seemani

We have 2, a male and a female, the male is quite aggresive . He attacks anything and everything. If we even open the lid he is in threat posture. Once while we were trying to get him to move so we could change the water dish he jumped right up to the top of the wooden spoon almost biting a finger. The female seems to be pretty docile though.

What we have:

1 M, A Seemani
1 F, A Seemani
1 M, C Paganus
1 Sling, A Geniculata
1 Sling, P Murinas
1 Sling, B Vagans
1 sling, G Rosea
1 sling, C Parahybana

Last edited:

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hungry Aphonopelma

Originally posted by Atrax
I wouldn't confuse that behavior with aggression. I have some pretty docile T's that will attack the water or other things that they associate with feeding. It sounds like your seemani was just a ravenous eater. Usually, a T won't just instantly attack something when it's in it's aggressive mode. They're more prone to slap kick or threaten (maybe strike) when acting defensive/aggresive. The instantanious pouncing you describe sounds more like a feeding response. Just letting you know. :)

Atrax
Good point Atrax! This is what I thought when I read the post! Very hungry Aphonopelma!! :D
Charlie, is your t eating?

Paul