A seemanni color change - molt?

Nightinghoul

Arachnosquire
I’ve asked so many questions already seeing as this is my first T, but I’m really curious about this.

I’ve had my A seemanni since October and it hasn’t taken good or molted. I eventually stopped offering food because it was never interested and I assumed a molt was coming. It’s now been over 4 months and nothing has changed. About a week ago I opened its enclosure and noticed it was VERY noticeably darker. Its abdomen was almost black. But now it has lightened up again. What would cause this? It definitely hasn’t molted. Photo is from when it darkened.

Attachments

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
That is a fat T it definitely doesn't need food they will tend to eat until they are big enough to moult but not ready so have to fast until the moulting phase starts so my guess that's what's happening

Thekla

Arachnoprince
It probably has indeed moulted. Shortly after a moult they appear very light in colour, even a bit translucent, and then get darker/more vibrant again.

If you had a picture of how it looks now, the answer would be more definite. ;)

Nightinghoul

Arachnosquire
It probably has indeed moulted. Shortly after a moult they appear very light in colour, even a bit translucent, and then get darker/more vibrant again.

If you had a picture of how it looks now, the answer would be more definite. ;)
I’ve searched for moult and it has definitely not moulted yet.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Well, this is neither pre- nor postmoult. She kicked a lot of hairs, that's probably why she appears paler because now you can see her skin underneath. When that bald patch darkens you'll know the next moult is coming up.

arachnidgill

Arachnoknight
Looks like it just kicked some hairs off, it appears lighter because you can now see the exposed abdomen.

Drea

Arachnosquire
She looks healthy to me. I have three of these and two eat very well, one doesn’t. All of them drink water like crazy. I know it’s been some time since that last picture but I was wonder how your T is doing now?

Nightinghoul

Arachnosquire
She looks healthy to me. I have three of these and two eat very well, one doesn’t. All of them drink water like crazy. I know it’s been some time since that last picture but I was wonder how your T is doing now?
She is doing fine, but she still has yet to take any food from me. No molt either! I’ve even tried pre-killing for her. But she’s still chunky so I suppose she’s doing fine! She tends to stay in her burrow for several hours and then she’ll come out for a few hours as well every day. Both pictures were very recent.

Attachments

Drea

Arachnosquire
She still hasn’t ate?? That is a while but not unnatural either.

Is the red light heated at all?

Nightinghoul

Arachnosquire

Nope! I’ve tried everything lol. I’ve had her since October. Super weird but she’s definitely inept not inactive. And no, it’s just red LED’s I have set up to view my T’s while they’re out without bothering them. :)

Ignore that inept lol idk where it came from

Last edited by a moderator:

Drea

Arachnosquire
How big is she LDS? She seems to big for pre killed.

She did kick a ton of hairs which the can do sometimes but maybe something is making her uncomfortable.

Could post a picture of her enclosure?

Nope! I’ve tried everything lol. I’ve had her since October. Super weird but she’s definitely inept not inactive. And no, it’s just red LED’s I have set up to view my T’s while they’re out without bothering them. :)

Aww that is thoughtful of you. I just turn on the lights and start talking to them. Haha

If she hasn’t ate in 6 months, that is the perfect word for her. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Nightinghoul

Arachnosquire

How big is she LDS? She seems to big for pre killed.

She did kick a ton of hairs which the can do sometimes but maybe something is making her uncomfortable.

Could post a picture of her enclosure?
I’ve actually changed her enclosure a couple times now. I had her in an enclosure with deep substrate for months and she didn’t burrow, so I decided to give her a new enclosure with a hide that she is now digging underneath.
If she hasn’t ate in 6 months, that is the perfect word for her. :)
Lol, true! I’ve actually changed her enclosure a couple times now. I had her in an enclosure with deep substrate for months and she didn’t burrow, so I decided to give her a new enclosure with a hide that she is now digging underneath. She seems to be most comfortable in this new setup.

Attachments

Drea

Arachnosquire

I’ve actually changed her enclosure a couple times now. I had her in an enclosure with deep substrate for months and she didn’t burrow, so I decided to give her a new enclosure with a hide that she is now digging underneath.

Lol, true! I’ve actually changed her enclosure a couple times now. I had her in an enclosure with deep substrate for months and she didn’t burrow, so I decided to give her a new enclosure with a hide that she is now digging underneath. She seems to be most comfortable in this new setup.

Beautiful casa... my adult female doesn’t dig but my male does. They both love hides more then the borrows though. Does the substrate have some moisture?

Thekla

Arachnoprince
That enclosure has way too much vertical space and not enough substrate.

Nightinghoul

Arachnosquire
Beautiful casa... my adult female doesn’t dig but my male does. They both love hides more then the borrows though. Does the substrate have some moisture?
Yep! I keep it slightly moist. I actually haven’t even sexed her due to her not molting lol, I just call it a her.

Drea

Arachnosquire

Male and female. The male is the devious one who mucks up his water dish every day. Every.... day.... :0

Nightinghoul

Arachnosquire
That enclosure has way too much vertical space and not enough substrate.
I was told the same thing in the past and she did not do well in an enclosure that had deep substrate. She didn’t burrow at all when I set her up that way. She is much more active in this new setup. Respectfully disagree.