A. seemani feeding habits?

Alxuh

Arachnopeon
I’ve had my A. Seemani, Atticus for about two weeks now. He’s in a 25 gallon tank (really big I know but it’s just what I have and I have plenty of substrate to keep the space between the top limited) with a coconut hide, some fake leaves and a water bowl. I water down the substrate by dumping the water down the sides about once a week because from what I can tell Atticus does NOT like it dry. Since I’ve had him I’ve tried every few days to give him a cricket but he just ain’t taking to it, I know Ts have their own weird ways but I just want to know if there’s anything more I can do.
Drop more crickets in? Try feeding with the tweezers?

TDLR: What are your experiences with feeding A. seemani? Any tips?

I’m also wondering if it may be a bit too cold for him. Living in Idaho it’s still spring so it’s kind of cold but my room sits at about 65-70F, is this a bit too cold? Should I get a space heater in the room to try and help?

Attachments

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
He’s in a 25 gallon tank
Wow
Any tips?
Is he mature? This would explain a lot.
I’m also wondering if it may be a bit too cold for him. Living in Idaho it’s still spring so it’s kind of cold but my room sits at about 65-70F, is this a bit too cold? Should I get a space heater in the room to try and help?
I would...try to keep it at around 70 if you can...or a little warmer.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
It'll be a tad cold at those temperatures, but nothing lethal.

You mentioned that you're using a 25gal tank because it's all you had. Look, go out and buy a typical file box for around $10. Either drill holes or melt the holes with a BBQ skewer heated on the stove. Either way, this makes for an ideal enclosure. See below. This species need very little horizontal space, but they utilize a lot of vertical space when filled with substrate. This individual pictured below is 4" dls, a young adult female. Yours looks to be roughly the same size, possibly 3". Just mimic this setup in the future.

For the time being, I wouldn't rehouse. Fossorial species like this take forever to settle in, and yours does not have a great fat reserve. It takes a lot of energy to make a new burrow. So before rehousing, you should fatten it up. You mentioned that you offer crickets - perhaps try a hornworm or a silkworm. They're slow moving and fatty. Do not simply offer more crickets, as that'll do nothing but stress it out. As for tong feeding... not until you've gotten over the "jump" reflex with spiders, which usually takes years of keeping tarantulas. Lay the prey outside of it's burrow, preferably with a crushed head and no way to fall into the burrow itself. There is a safe way to trigger a feeding response. Get yourself a long blade of grass - 12" about. Then you can "tickle" the area around the prey item to simulate a struggling insect. Most tarantulas go crazy for it.

Let us know how things turn out, I'll be watching this thread :)

---clicky---
20180401_014352.jpg

20180401_014443.jpg

I don’t know if he’s mature, in fact I don’t know if he is truly a he.
Can we get a picture of the pedipalps? The very front two "legs" right by the fangs.

Last edited:

Alxuh

Arachnopeon
It'll be a tad cold at those temperatures, but nothing lethal.

You mentioned that you're using a 25gal tank because it's all you had. Look, go out and buy a typical file box for around $10. Either drill holes or melt the holes with a BBQ skewer heated on the stove. Either way, this makes for an ideal enclosure. See below. This species need very little horizontal space, but they utilize a lot of vertical space when filled with substrate. This individual pictured below is 4" dls, a young adult female. Yours looks to be roughly the same size, possibly 3". Just mimic this setup in the future.

For the time being, I wouldn't rehouse. Fossorial species like this take forever to settle in, and yours does not have a great fat reserve. It takes a lot of energy to make a new burrow. So before rehousing, you should fatten it up. You mentioned that you offer crickets - perhaps try a hornworm or a silkworm. They're slow moving and fatty. Do not simply offer more crickets, as that'll do nothing but stress it out. As for tong feeding... not until you've gotten over the "jump" reflex with spiders, which usually takes years of keeping tarantulas. Lay the prey outside of it's burrow, preferably with a crushed heat and now way to fall into the burrow itself. There is a safe way to trigger a feeding response. Get yourself a long blade of grass - 12" about. Then you can "tickle" the area around the prey item to simulate a struggling insect. Most tarantulas go crazy for it.

Let us know how things turn out, I'll be watching this thread :)

---clicky---
View attachment 271242

View attachment 271243

Can we get a picture of the pedipalps? The very front two "legs" right by the fangs.

I will get some worms tomorrow and try those as well as the grass trick. I thought he was looking a little thin aswell.
As for enclosures, I like the simplicity of the bin but since this is my only T I do want him to be on display as much as possible. I’ll check out my local pet stores for kritter keepers but will also definitely try to fatten him up before rehoming.
As for photos of the pedipalps, I’ll try to get one as soon as possible, he’s hiding out in the coconut for now.
Thanks for helping :)

I would...try to keep it at around 70 if you can...or a little warmer.
I’ll look into it. I definitely don’t mind being a bit warmer for his comfort :)

Last edited by a moderator:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
As for enclosures, I like the simplicity of the bin but since this is my only T I do want him to be on display as much as possible.
This is a terrible first tarantula just because its boring. If kept properly, you'll never see it - this spider should generally be a pet hole that only makes rare appearances. Sorry to say, but perhaps try another species. A. chalcodes is the best beginner tarantula in my book, and adult females can be picked up for around $70.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
I will get some worms tomorrow and try those as well as the grass trick. I thought he was looking a little thin aswell.
As for enclosures, I like the simplicity of the bin but since this is my only T I do want him to be on display as much as possible. I’ll check out my local pet stores for kritter keepers but will also definitely try to fatten him up before rehoming.
As for photos of the pedipalps, I’ll try to get one as soon as possible, he’s hiding out in the coconut for now.
Thanks for helping :)
This isn't a display species at all, they generally stay in their burrow. However mine comes out usually almost every day at least one time so its not too bad of a pet hole (that varies by individual of course).

The enclosure is like massive for that tiny tarantula, definitely needs a rehouse to a regular size Kritter Keeper or something (that's what I keep mine in and it works perfectly). However like EulersK said I would try to get her to fatten up a little before rehousing if you can get her to eat.

Alxuh

Arachnopeon
If kept properly, you'll never see it - this spider should generally be a pet hole that only makes rare appearances.
Well, it is a tarantula I’m not expecting it to be doing backflips off the wall. I’m most excited to see it start burrowing, I think it’ll be very interesting. Once I’m ready for another T I’ll look into that one, thanks.

The enclosure is like massive for that tiny tarantula, definitely needs a rehouse to a regular size Kritter Keeper or something (that's what I keep mine in and it works perfectly). However like EulersK said I would try to get her to fatten up a little before rehousing if you can get her to eat.
For me, the best part is just seeing how the Ts live, if mine lives in a hole for the rest of its life so be it! I’ll be trying to fatten it up and update as frequently as possibly and hopefully you guys will be able to tell me when it’s ready to be rehomed!

Last edited by a moderator:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Atticus just crawled out of his coconut for the day, I tried to get some photos of the Pedipalps but I understand these arent the best.
Well, that's not a mature male at least.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I just dropped a meal worm in and it didn’t take to it. How long should I leave it in there so see if it’ll go after it?
Did you "tickle" it with the blade of grass like I suggested?

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Enclosure size and temperature are likely playing their part, here. I had issues with mine for a while that went away once i moved it into a smaller box with a good 6" of sub (partly because i wanted to see how deep itd dig and partly because the box is a little deep). Itd only eat one smallish feeder every 5 times i fed. Now it takes down fairly large prey items, is working on a third tunnel, and still stays out all the time. Theyre really temperamental until their enclosure is just how they like it.
Edit: heres a link to the thread i made about mines behavior. Give it a once over and see if some of the issues may be the same.
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/aphonopelma-seefreakinmani.297491/

Last edited:

Alxuh

Arachnopeon
Enclosure size and temperature are likely playing their part, here. I had issues with mine for a while that went away once i moved it into a smaller box with a good 6" of sub (partly because i wanted to see how deep itd dig and partly because the box is a little deep). Itd only eat one smallish feeder every 5 times i fed. Now it takes down fairly large prey items, is working on a third tunnel, and still stays out all the time. Theyre really temperamental until their enclosure is just how they like it.
Edit: heres a link to the thread i made about mines behavior. Give it a once over and see if some of the issues may be the same.
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/aphonopelma-seefreakinmani.297491/
This has some good info! Thanks! Just by eyeing it, the enclosure you have isn’t much smaller than mine, maybe by a few inches. I’m gonna try and kill a cricket, see if it’s into that. I may be just having a picky eater on my hands because honestly it doesn’t seem so be having any problems other than not wanting to eat. It’s active, drinking water and doesn’t sit in a stress position at all. I got a space heater and I’m gonna see if that helps out a bit.

Alxuh

Arachnopeon
An update on Atticus. She’s accustomed to her new home and is now eating twice weekly! Thanks for all the help.