A quick shot of a baby Deathstalker & A.Crasscaudia.. soo cute!

Redjunior

Arachnoknight
I love this species, was my first scorpion and I've loved them ever since. I've held them a bunch and I can say ( I dont recommend ) I find them more calm than people usually describe them as, I've found jacksoni to be more aggressive at times. I have 2 D.s. at the moment, but the bigger one was hiding so not photo of him, But hes 4i . This one is 1i . First molt was at the beginning of the month.

20181031_214905.jpg

I'll be doing another round of feeding tomorrow, late night only gave them all a snack. So I'll try for a better pic. And hopefully my A.crasscaudia comes out of his cave he dug so I can get a pic! .
I got a sweet pic of my A.Crasscaudia he was only 3i but check this out! He almost got out! People say they're aggressive too, and yupp. Very much so. XD I held him twice, and each time I was incredibly nervous. Such power. I love it. But please.. dont EVER handle them, I do it cause I'm stupid. But I learned a lot from doing it.
received_10210438808194337.jpeg

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
May I ask why you hold them? That seems like a really poor choice considering these species have actual documented fatalities associated with them.

Redjunior

Arachnoknight
I don't handle all the time, it's very rare I handle them. But I have handled them. And I've done it because I appreciate them, and respect them. And apart of that to me is interaction. Fortunately scorpions , unlike spiders, give warning signs before they sting or attack, and handling these guys before I know what I'm looking for in body language, aggression, hunger, and general mood for the day. and I have my own technique of picking them up, my hand goes no where near them. My whole hand goes under the substrate about a hand or 2 length away, and slowly lift them out from under once I slide my hand under them. It ruins the substrate but they dont care and end up burrowing close enough it levels out again. My ambition to handle my venomous friends is exactly why I stay away from venomous spiders. I'll NEVER handle a venomous spider, they're too unpredictable. But people argue with me all the time about handling these scorpions. But I've worked with these 2 species ( and jacksoni ) specifically for the last 8 years. I have confidence I know what they're like and when to pick my moments. Plus.. holding something that can kill you quickly gives you a rush and a feeling you cant describe, especially when there is a mutual moment of handling and hanging out. :) to text why I hold them is difficult, I cant illustrate my thoughts and intentions in text. Becomes an essay. I wish I could post videos without the need of YouTube. Would be so much easier.

NYAN

Arachnoking
@Redjunior handling potentially deadly species is stupid. At this size, it won’t be able to kill you probably, but you risk permanent damage and a hospital visit still. You mention that scorpions give a warning before they sting. This may be true, but you cannot rely on such things alone. Complacency and beliefs like this cause mistakes. It’s the same reason why you never look down a gun barrel.

As I mentioned, it puts you at risk, which you seem to not care about. But it also puts our hobby at risk. I wouldn’t want to see the results of a mishap that put you in the hospital, or worse killed you. I’m sure the media would have a field day writing about a Canadian who was stung by a ‘highly poisonous African scorpion.’ I wouldn’t want to see any further restrictions put on us. Please appreciate their beauty like people do with fish.

Last edited:

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
Steve Irwin was confident..............

Every living thing is unpredictable. Just be sure to point the media to this convo if u get stung so they know people tried to stop it.

Really cool scorpions!!! My dethstalker is high strung. Runs around like it’s on crack.
What do u have for a setup?

Redjunior

Arachnoknight
I do care, very much, I am a huge supporter. But when I say I've held them a bunch, in the 8 years I've had d.s. I've held them 5 times very briefly, not for extended time. Longest I ever had one crawl up my forearm was maybe 45 seconds before I managed to get him off. And the androctonous I've held twice. Very very lucky. The last 2 times was because I had bought 2 babies and they both seemed dead. So I had the bodies on the tip of my fingers to show the limp lifelessness and took a picture to send to the person I purchased them from to ask if anything could have happened. One did die, the other strangely came back to life after a few hours. Same with androctonous. I dont ever recommended holding them, i actually promote not to. It is stupid, I said that on the original post. But I do hold those few moments golden. But ultimately I hold jacksoni comfortably. They can do some damage if they get you, but when they're handled they're actual super chill as long as you pick them up properly. I usually wait for them to be hanging out on cork or a loose leaf and hold that till they venture onto me. :) I know what you're saying though. I do care. I just like to share the experiance.

Redjunior

Arachnoknight
Steve Irwin was confident..............

Every living thing is unpredictable. Just be sure to point the media to this convo if u get stung so they know people tried to stop it.

Really cool scorpions!!! My dethstalker is high strung. Runs around like it’s on crack.
What do u have for a setup?

Yeah, true. :(

Haha yeah the baby deathstalker is high strung, but most of my adults are usually relaxed. I'll post a pic of my setup 1 moment. Maybe tiny will be out. Yes... his name is tiny. Haha!

Redjunior

Arachnoknight
Here is the set up for my 3i d.s. my 1i is in a deli cup, nothing exciting when this guy is full grown he will be transferred into a 10 gallon tank with live cactus and better hides with rocks and shrub. :) paradise.

20181109_230344.jpg

. He has 2 caves in there, 1 larger one and a small tight one both in opposite corners, one is high up on a small ledge the other is down low the branch is merely a bridge for him. He was in the small low cave hiding.

20181109_230512.jpg

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
I’ll have to keep that in mind for mine.

If you handle them I hope u don’t have kids. Couldn’t imagine growing up without a dad

Redjunior

Arachnoknight
I’ll have to keep that in mind for mine.

If you handle them I hope u don’t have kids. Couldn’t imagine growing up without a dad

I have a son. He is greatly into arachnids too. But, the androctonous freaks him out because he knows how lethal it can be. I don't see myself holding these species in the future. I know the caliber of their kind. But I can say it is cool to have held them. :)

but dont try that at home.

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
I actually got my death stocker by mistake.....
I just picked a cool looking scorpion and the people selling it didn’t say hey this thing will kill u!
It’s all good though. I don’t mess around and get close to much of anything that I keep so it’s really not that different

Redjunior

Arachnoknight
I actually got my death stocker by mistake.....
I just picked a cool looking scorpion and the people selling it didn’t say hey this thing will kill u!
It’s all good though. I don’t mess around and get close to much of anything that I keep so it’s really not that different
Mine was a similar situation. The very first scorpion I got. I met a guy I found on kijiji who came from out of town and when we met I said "I want the deadliest one you have" (mind you in was 18.) And he handed me that one. I later found out what it was with some research. And just had nothing but good luck thus far. I got tamulus too recently, with buthus draa. Spunky little guys. Haha, 2 more deadly additions.

Redjunior

Arachnoknight
You need to look up Tityus. Very cool looking scorpions
Yeah I like stigmurus. I know I messed up the name there. But yes there very cool, I've been looking at uroplectous and microtityus. I feel microtityus would be super cool in a communal setup. Hahaha if I get tityus my girlfriend will freak. She hates the ones I have already.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah I like stigmurus. I know I messed up the name there. But yes there very cool, I've been looking at uroplectous and microtityus. I feel microtityus would be super cool in a communal setup. Hahaha if I get tityus my girlfriend will freak. She hates the ones I have already.
I believe Microtityus has made it into the US, but I think care is a little rough since they’re so small. It’s all just about appropriate feeder size though I think. Can they be kept communally?

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
I seen some up here for sale. It just always seems like I run out of money before I can get All I want.