A quick question on water for tarantulas

Fade

Arachnosquire
For the water I need to use either bottle water, filtered water, or distilled water right? For distilled water, could that just be leaving a milk carton full of tap water for 24 hours and the fluoride, chlorine, and other bad stuff disappears right, even with the cap on?

Thanks.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I've always just used bottled water. It's more convenient for me and works just fine.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
For the water I need to use either bottle water, filtered water, or distilled water right? For distilled water, could that just be leaving a milk carton full of tap water for 24 hours and the fluoride, chlorine, and other bad stuff disappears right, even with the cap on?
Tap water is probably fine. The most commonly cited concern is chlorine. However, chlorine is unstable in water -- it can take 24 hours or less for the water to be chlorine-free (and as little as 10 minutes if the water is left in the sun) -- so exposure would be low unless your tarantula drank soon after being watered.

There are other chemicals like chloramine (more stable than chlorine), fluoride, and anti-corrosive additives in tap water. Tarantulas' systems are a lot different from our own, so I'm not sure if these chemicals are toxic to tarantulas in the dosages found in tap water or if the effect is cumulative over time.

That being said, I usually use bottled water, because we buy it for ourselves, and the tarantulas don't need much. (Tap water leaves unsightly mineral residue on the sides of the enclosure if they get splashed.)

Some previous discussions of water:

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
It would depend on your tap water chemistry. I use ro or deionized water simply to avoid calcium carbonate stains on the walls of the enclosure. I have used tap water on occasions with no detrimental outcome.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I've always used normal tap water since the '90 without issues. Granted, if your tap water is the 'Capital Wasteland' (Fallout 3) one, avoid that, if nothing because you never know what can happens to your inverts: no one wants to deal with a 'Deathclaw rose hair' :bored:

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've used tap water since 2000 and haven't noticed any ill effects....the Rose-hair I've had since then still seems ok...18 years of tap water and she's still going strong!

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
For all of you that are saying you use tap water, do you mean city water or well water? I've always given my tarantulas bottled water because I'm not sure how safe well water would be. Especially well water located near fields of soybean/corn. (Not to hijack this thread or anything, I'm just really curious.)

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
For all of you that are saying you use tap water, do you mean city water or well water? I've always given my tarantulas bottled water because I'm not sure how safe well water would be. Especially well water located near fields of soybean/corn. (Not to hijack this thread or anything, I'm just really curious.)
City water and well water depending on where I lived, but mostly city water

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Thanks.
Distilled water is not water left out over night, it's still tap water if that was the source hahah.

Some people use tap, some use distilled. One well known breeder only uses distilled.

As for leaving tap water over night for 24 hr, this does get ride of chlorine, it does not however get rid of chloramine. Check your water company and ask them what they do.

I will say I use water that is chiseled from ice by the hands of virgins from the Himalayan mountain range, and melted by their very hands after being blessed.

Last edited:

octaJon

Arachnopeon
Voss, Perrier, Evian, Fiji, and San Pellegrino (even though some of my Ts roll their eyes at it)...jk I have well water so I use store brand bottled distilled or spring water: it's cheap and easy

Fade

Arachnosquire
No worries, the more info the better. I think I got my answer anyway. Will use bottled water to be safe

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Based on the other thread where this has come up, distilled will prevent water marks on the side of the enclosure. That's a benefit in my book.

ItzXskrilla

Arachnopeon
I will say I use water that is chiseled from ice by the hands of virgins from the Himalayan mountain range, and melted by their very hands after being blessed.[/QUOTE]

Viper, I seriously need some of this. I need to contact those virgins from the Himalayan mountains! :D

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
I use filtered water from my refrigerator but bottled or even tap water should suffice.

Dannica

Arachnosquire
I personally use tap water, but I also drink the tap water, so if it’s good enough for me, it’s good enough for the tarantulas. I’ve not noticed any adverse effects from it, nor do I get spots on the inside of the enclosure from water drops.