A question on T diet

fartbreath

Arachnopeon
What's the best diet for a T? Worms? Crickets? Roaches? Or a combination of either two?

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
There really is no proof of a "best diet," but a varied diet is likely best. I feed crickets mostly with superworms or mealworms (depending on the spider) mixed in. If roaches were legal here, I would use mostly those, just because they're easier to sustain your own colony.

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There really is no proof of a "best diet," but a varied diet is likely best. I feed crickets mostly with superworms or mealworms (depending on the spider) mixed in.
I do this too. It's best to give them a variety for the varied nutrients.

Ran

Arachnoknight
Like le-thomas said...A varied diet like you and I prefer :)

Ben Oliver

Arachnopeon
i try to vary all my T's diet as much as possible from roaches to crickets to pinkey mice. since i said pinkies people will sit there and say pinkies are bad for T's but i have asked many times for people to give some sort explenation that would support their findings not one has given proof that it hurts T's. so if you want to use pinkies do it every so often. or you can use anoles or small frogs to boost the T's body weight. and for the people that ask i feed my T's pinkies once every 2 months if they want them. and i haven't seen any problems with using the pinkies. everybody has molted and been doing everything like they are supposed to.

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree with the pinky mouse thing, but only about once and year and never for a tarantula that has an upcoming molt. The excess calcium can harden the cuticle beyond what's neccessary. Other than that it's a nice suplement.

fartbreath

Arachnopeon
Thanks!

Thanks, friends! (Special mention to kabayan.) I am already starting a roach colony and breeding bettles for food supply. If the lizard population booms in our home then they can become T dinner, too!

deltakiloworks

Arachnopeon
Good luck on your new hobby kabayan. Having a roach colony is a good idea. Having a variety of food source is also a good idea. Pictures of yout T’s would be great too! Keep em ’ coming .

:)

Wadew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Variety in the Diet is an im portant key to good health!

If you can not provide a varied diet then another approach is to offer your feeder insects variety in there diet! Good health comes from the healthy choices you make in what you choose to offer your feeders as food!

Cheers to good eats!

Wade