Basin's Amphibians

cold blood

Staff member
Salamanders are just too cool...I've always loved them...one of my favorite animals that doesn't have fins and gills.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Salamanders are just too cool...I've always loved them...one of my favorite animals that doesn't have fins and gills.
Gills as youngsters so you're in familiar territory.

Been after one of these magnificent amphibians for a while. So very happy to finally have one.

cold blood

Staff member
I had one of these back in grade school.....caught it dried up in a gutter on deaths door...maybe 4-5" at the time...when I released it 5 or 6 years later, it was absolutely gigantic...pushing 18" if I recall correctly......incredible appetites.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I had one of these back in grade school.....caught it dried up in a gutter on deaths door...maybe 4-5" at the time...when I released it 5 or 6 years later, it was absolutely gigantic...pushing 18" if I recall correctly......incredible appetites.
I reckon the fisherman in you is quoting 18". Honestly it was

<------------- this -------------> big.

They do regularly get 12" though and very occasionally over 13". Really good of you to save the little one.

cold blood

Staff member
I reckon the fisherman in you is quoting 18". Honestly it was

<------------- this -------------> big.

They do regularly get 12" though and very occasionally over 13". Really good of you to save the little one.
Bad fishermen exaggerate;)

If anything I'm under-optimistic on my size estimates. I fish tournaments...so all my big fish get weighed on a certified scale.:cool:

But yeah, that thing was huge, I know it was bigger than 12", because at the time I believed that was their max size...I used always tell people that they weren't supposed to get that big.

Used to feed it shrimp in the winter, but it would eat literally anything, any time. Used to grab crayfish in the water and shake them against the glass to break them...it was quite a sight to see. It would regularly eat the fish I had in the water, too. Mine had a lot of water access, and actually spent a significant amount of time in the water.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Bad fishermen exaggerate;)

If anything I'm under-optimistic on my size estimates. I fish tournaments...so all my big fish get weighed on a certified scale.:cool:

But yeah, that thing was huge, I know it was bigger than 12", because at the time I believed that was their max size...I used always tell people that they weren't supposed to get that big.

Used to feed it shrimp in the winter, but it would eat literally anything, any time. Used to grab crayfish in the water and shake them against the glass to break them...it was quite a sight to see. It would regularly eat the fish I had in the water, too. Mine had a lot of water access, and actually spent a significant amount of time in the water.
I'm only acting daft.

This set up is only very temporary. Hopefully I'll be able to put her (thinking female) into her proper enclosure tomorrow that will be much larger.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
What's the care like for these?

Really cool addition. Some of my favorite childhood memories were catching little salamanders in a creek.

basin79

ArachnoGod
What's the care like for these?

Really cool addition. Some of my favorite childhood memories were catching little salamanders in a creek.
From what I've read very easy. Room temperature, damp deep substrate, some hiding places and a large water dish. Treated or spring water in the sub and water dish.

Supposedly the hardest part of keeping them is not over feeding them. Many can't resist that face.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
I can't believe the size. That's incredible. Do you have a pic of him?

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Tiger salamanders definitely don't reach 18". Wikipedia says 14", but I feel like even that's pushing it. But I've definitely seen a video of a neotenic (or maybe just old juvenile?) individual that was 13", so maybe 14" is possible.

@basin79 that's a beautiful individual you've got there.

basin79

ArachnoGod
So I reckon my Tiger is female. So here's Stheno.

So mad her eyes aren't in focus as this would have been a great pic.

Jurdon

Arachnoknight
Ah, I love tigers! She’s beautiful.I had a suspect male named Reinhardt not too long ago, he was awesome.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Just in case the video isn't watched. As promised Stheno has been rehoused into a suitably sized enclosure now.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I literally screamed a little after reading the title because I was so excited! I love tiger salamanders so much! We supposedly have wild ones in my area, but I've never seen one. One of my old dogs unfortunately killed one though. My dad actually thought the dog was playing with a toy until he got up close, but by then the salamander was already dead. :( I've seen plenty of spotted salamanders around though. But they aren't as big as the tigers are.

Congrats on your new pet! I'll join the party and get one some day :D

basin79

ArachnoGod
I literally screamed a little after reading the title because I was so excited! I love tiger salamanders so much! We supposedly have wild ones in my area, but I've never seen one. One of my old dogs unfortunately killed one though. My dad actually thought the dog was playing with a toy until he got up close, but by then the salamander was already dead. :( I've seen plenty of spotted salamanders around though. But they aren't as big as the tigers are.

Congrats on your new pet! I'll join the party and get one some day :D
Poor bugger. Hope it was a quick death.

They're fantastic little rascals aren't they? I'm leaving Stheno alone now for a few days to settle in. I'll just change her water.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Ever since I started with axolotl I've been eyeing other salamanders as well. They come in all shapes and sizes!
Very pretty girl you have there! That smiling face is just begging to be stuffed with a nice big worm, :p

basin79

ArachnoGod
Ever since I started with axolotl I've been eyeing other salamanders as well. They come in all shapes and sizes!
Very pretty girl you have there! That smiling face is just begging to be stuffed with a nice big worm, :p
I need to buy some large earthworms for her to snaffle.