A. multicostis enclosure feedback

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
So I’ve placed the order for my first centipedes, a pair of juvenile Alipes multicostis. I’d really appreciate some feedback on one of the enclosures I’ve prepared:

B43B8D52-E95F-41B9-B8CF-84179FCE5AC4.jpeg

44BDECD1-BD69-4B06-8B3C-848A1FE60CEA.jpeg

789AA83D-6B65-44E1-8447-5ECD8E08CEB1.jpeg

Substrate is peat moss mixed with sphagnum. The tub is a sterilite gasket box. Might switch to a smaller water dish as well. Any feedback is much appreciated :)

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Excellent setup! Hides, dish (smaller one will be just as good), and ventilation are all great. The airholes will let the 'pede climb out when the lid is off but I doubt you'll be away from the open bin for a long time and Alipes tend to hide when the lid is off anyway.

The substrate looks a little dry but I can't really tell. If it is nicely moist on the bottom and only dry on top then you're probably fine. Alipes don't need a ton of humidity anyway.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
I am always a little cautious with over sizing water dishes and pedes as they can fall in and drown, so just use your best judgement on if that one is too large since it is pretty deep with smooth walls.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
I am always a little cautious with over sizing water dishes and pedes as they can fall in and drown, so just use your best judgement on if that one is too large since it is pretty deep with smooth walls.
Centipedes don't drown easily due to their ability to close their spiracles, but I agree that a large water dish could trap a small 'pede, especially on like Alipes that isn't found in a very wet habitat.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Centipedes don't drown easily due to their ability to close their spiracles, but I agree that a large water dish could trap a small 'pede, especially on like Alipes that isn't found in a very wet habitat.
Closing the spiracles just means they take longer to die, I know when sexing pedes using drowning they stop moving after around 5 minutes and will just sit there until they go unconscious around a half hour in, so all it takes is one to fall in struggle for 5 minutes against smooth walls and surface tension and freeze up just to drown over hours and hours of sitting there. I know 2 people who have lost pedes to drowning and one time it was a pedeling in a bottle cap.

Last edited:

Daniel Edwards

Arachnoknight
Pretty big for Alipes, but I'd change out the bowl for something textured and smaller... this also reduces the amount of times a prey item drowns and makes the water disgusting... therefore limiting how often your hand has to go in. Otherwise looks good! I add sand into my soil but it isn't necessary. Great decor!

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
Excellent setup! Hides, dish (smaller one will be just as good), and ventilation are all great. The airholes will let the 'pede climb out when the lid is off but I doubt you'll be away from the open bin for a long time and Alipes tend to hide when the lid is off anyway.

The substrate looks a little dry but I can't really tell. If it is nicely moist on the bottom and only dry on top then you're probably fine. Alipes don't need a ton of humidity anyway.
I moistened the substrate quite a bit already, but I’ll make sure it’s at the right level once the pedes arrive. Thank you!

Looks really good, great job!
Thanks!!