A lot of questions puzzled me 问题困扰着我

RJZerg

Arachnopeon
come straight to the point
1 Why are tarantulas so colorful?They have poor eyesight and are clearly not attractive to the opposite sex.Some colors are obviously different from the natural environment and are not hidden. Why?
2 Can tarantulas live in groups?I know of several species that can live in groups, because of environmental and food aggregation, or social aggregation like ants?
3 my Pterinochilus murinus
  • Falling down from a height cannot weave a net... why???
可能翻译的不好,见谅。

The Seraph

Arachnolord
come straight to the point
1 Why are tarantulas so colorful?They have poor eyesight and are clearly not attractive to the opposite sex.Some colors are obviously different from the natural environment and are not hidden. Why?
2 Can tarantulas live in groups?I know of several species that can live in groups, because of environmental and food aggregation, or social aggregation like ants?
3 my Pterinochilus murinus
  • Falling down from a height cannot weave a net... why???
可能翻译的不好,见谅。
1. Presumably they are colorful to show they are venomous. There are some that are very venomous but are also dull and some that are not very venomous but very gaudy. In short, I have no idea.

2. One species can live in groups, Monocentropus Balfouri. No others.

3. Please clarify this question.

RJZerg

Arachnopeon
3. Please clarify this question.[/QUOTE]

• My tarantula can't knitmesh
    该怎么说,我的意思是,我的捕鸟蛛从高处掉落,除了不能织网没有其他变化,它是怎么了?

• Do you think they're social?

Last edited by a moderator:

Polenth

Arachnobaron
Bright colours and patterns can be to communicate with other species (such as predators or prey). It can suggest that an animal is dangerous and should be avoided or attract the attention of prey. Which one is harder to say, because there's not been a lot of research on that, and it might not be the same for every species.

This article on blue tarantulas gives an example where researchers know the colour is important, but it'd need more research into wild behaviour to pin down why: https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/11/151127-blue-tarantula-science-explain-animals/

The Seraph

Arachnolord
3. Please clarify this question.
  • My tarantula can't knitmesh
    该怎么说,我的意思是,我的捕鸟蛛从高处掉落,除了不能织网没有其他变化,它是怎么了?
[/QUOTE]
如果翻譯不正確, 那就可以了。不需要感到羞愧。Perhaps it needs to get settled in. How long has it been in enclosure. It might also be male, which after maturing do not live for a long time and wander, meaning they would not make a web. Also, most tarantulas do not make very extensive webs like other spiders. They make more of a tunnel of web than an actual spider web.

• Do you think they're social?
They can live together in captivity. When you say social, do you mean as in they interact with each other? If so, I am not sure as I do not have the species, I am only familiar with the mannerisms.

RJZerg

Arachnopeon
Perhaps it needs to get settled in. How long has it been in enclosure. It might also be male, which after maturing do not live for a long time and wander, meaning they would not make a web. Also, most tarantulas do not make very extensive webs like other spiders. They make more of a tunnel of web than an actual spider web.

• Maybe you're right. It's time for T to rest

They can live together in captivity. When you say social, do you mean as in they interact with each other? If so, I am not sure as I do not have the species, I am only familiar with the mannerisms.[/QUOTE]

• Yes, I mean social, collaborative, cooperative, etc

This article on blue tarantulas gives an example where researchers know the colour is important, but it'd need more research into wild behaviour to pin down why: https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/11/151127-blue-tarantula-science-explain-animals/[/QUOTE]

• Thank you for your literature. I am reading it now

Minty

@londontarantulas
Perhaps it needs to get settled in. How long has it been in enclosure. It might also be male, which after maturing do not live for a long time and wander, meaning they would not make a web. Also, most tarantulas do not make very extensive webs like other spiders. They make more of a tunnel of web than an actual spider web.

• Maybe you're right. It's time for T to rest

They can live together in captivity. When you say social, do you mean as in they interact with each other? If so, I am not sure as I do not have the species, I am only familiar with the mannerisms.

• Yes, I mean social, collaborative, cooperative, etc
No.

Fishkeeper

Arachnosquire
Tarantulas do NOT make a web when they fall off of things, like other spiders do. They are far too heavy to catch themselves that way. You need to make sure your tarantula cannot fall from a large height or it will die from falling.

RJZerg

Arachnopeon
Tarantulas do NOT make a web when they fall off of things, like other spiders do. They are far too heavy to catch themselves that way. You need to make sure your tarantula cannot fall from a large height or it will die from falling.
  • It had fallen, not dead, but no longer spinning

It's been three days.

My T has stopped spinning since it fell behind
  • It's been four days, all the time

Attachments

Fishkeeper

Arachnosquire
Can you take a close-up picture of the spinnerets, the parts that it uses to make a web? It may have damaged those in falling.