A little feedback on my YouTube...

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
So, in case you don't know, I have a YT channel called Planet Scolopendra (link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPrSANu84qtfMxs-yA9YwOw). It primarily features centipedes, especially Ethmostigmus rubripes, but I do occasionally feature other inverts such as scorpions and millipedes.
Anyway, I invest a fair bit of time and effort into my videos, but my camera gear is mediocre at best, and to me, most of my footage of the inverts basically looks like phone footage in landscape mode.
Also, I've been trying (whether successfully or not, I do not know) to add a touch of humor into my videos. Has it been working?

My main question is this: how do my videos compare to some of the more recognized youtubers in the invert hobby? I know The Dark Den wipes the floor with me, but how do I compare to users such as The Spiderman, Deadly Tarantula Girl, Tom Moran, Exotics Lair and Whitey Exotics? I'm principally interested in how I compare in regards to quality and engagement.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
I personally really like your videos. I think the only criticism I have would be he shaky camera but that's not really a big deal. As for how you compare to some of the other bigger youtubers I can't really say. Most of those youtubers have better quality camera equipment and have been around the platform longer so they've definitely already figured out most of their videos, only time and practice will really give you better content

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Yeah, my camera is quite the issue. Like I said, its quality is about that of a phone camera.

Salvador

Arachnosquire
I think as far as your shots and framing go, you're better than a couple of the youtubers you just mentioned by far. There's nothing wrong with your content or hosting style either, and they can only get better. Audio-wise, not so great, but I am an audio engineer by trade. I still highly advise that until you get a better mic system, you should record your audio at the same time but with a different device, then put it over the camera audio during editing.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I support anyone who wants to do YT. let me go subscribe to you, because it's good to help out fellow members when needed. Camera is okay, can work a little bit by better focus and less shakiness. But the thing is that most people do wrong is this, "Professional quality ASAP". The thing about all those Youtubers you mention didn't start with 1080p 60fps every video. They just started with a feeling to express themselves and their hobbies. And the experience with their hobby and camera quality improve little by little to make them where they are now. So just be you and soon you will be there with them. And since i'm subscribing to you right now, I'll be that guy who says, "Hey I was subscribed to this guy at the beginning before he reached this huge amount of subscribers and followers now" ;)

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I think most of the things you're worried about now will get better with time, and the videos will naturally improve with experience. You can spend all the money you want on cameras and mics but experience plays a big part in video quality too.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
I like your videos more than most invert people. You put effort in and don’t act like a complete imbecile while remaining to be younger than most of the actual imbeciles on the platform. Starting a YouTube channel is tough and you’re pretty good at it. I’m working on my own channel at the moment and you’re literally my only inspiration. Pede nerds for the win!

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Thanks guys! I do hope I'm improving in regards to presentation - I'm feeling noticeably less shy and self-conscious, and I think I'll only keep improving from here on out.
I'm thinking of getting two things for my videos in the future: a macro camera for some real good close up footage of the pedes (I've got one that takes great close up photos, but very mediocre film), or a microphone to reduce background noise; I currently have to make the music quite loud to drown it out, which sometimes interferes with my clarity.
Which should I get first? What do my videos need more?

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Your channel is great! Watching one video is more than enough to confirm you know what you're doing, unlike many other people who make exotic pet videos. Keep up the good work.

Personally I prefer better footage than better audio, but if you're trying to increase viewers then better audio might be more important. Better video might be also appealing, everyone likes high definition.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Yeah, that's my dilemma. I'd love to see what my pedes look like under a proper close-up camera, but at the same time, the background noise has always annoyed me, and I'd love to start having videos without it.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
If you recorded video without audio, then recorded a voice over in a quiet room would that fix your background noise problem?

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Well, there really is no such thing as a quiet room in my place. Also, there'd be the issue of timing voice with mouth movements.