A Good Millipede Expedition

Exoskelos

Arachnosquire
Here lately I've been going out into the woods almost nightly to look for millipedes, and have had no luck. Somewhere around May 10th I finally spotted a Narceus, after only finding Oxidus gracilis and tons of parajulids. It's the first time I've seen them outside this year, so I charted it in my notebook.

Since then, my journeys have increased, I've been going farther into the woods than I usually do, and have taken my camera with me to document the different species I find. The early summer thunderstorms have Apheloria virginiensis corrugata surfacing in such swarms to make me nauseous before I even see them.

A week ago after a rain, I ventured a two mile trek towards some old growth woods I knew of, and spotted a lot of native millipedes on the road, mostly Apheloria, but also Abacion sp., and either Auturus evides or Euryurus leachii, maybe both. I'm not sure of exact species since I'm not good with identifying the small ones. At least a dozen Abacion were camped out around an anthill feeding on ants, I wish I had taken a photo of them. I did get photos of several Apheloria virginiensis corrugata crossing the road, but I forgot to set my camera to macro, so the photos are blurry. DSCF3225~01.jpg DSCF3226~01.jpg

I finally arrived to the good searching area, after being distracted by all the other millipede species along the way, my real goal was to find some Narceus americanus. It was getting quite dark, and there had been black bear sightings near my location, I was about to turn back. I knew the darker it became, the better a chance I would find one, and I found a large specimen with relatively normal coloration, which I named Princess. Here she is, in the millipede tub.
DSCF3253~01.jpg
The reason for that royal name, is it was just barely smaller than the Matriarch, the oddly colored brood mother of almost my entire Narceus colony. While transferring it out from the collection container, the newly aquired Princess blasted me with benzoquinones. It had climbed up my arm, I gently pushed it along the side to get it from my arm into the main bin, and the pungent aroma of the quinones hit my nostrils, and got my fingers. I guess my very careful treatment was not royal enough, I've collected hundreds of millipedes from various locations in OH, KY, and WV, yet none of them ever got me with their defensive secretions. First ever millipede burn :rofl: all the red area on my fingertips has since peeled off like a bad sunburn, and its been a week. I'll be wearing gloves from now on. :D 20180518_203222~01.jpg

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
Might be Narceus annularis, not americanus. It looks very similar to the ones I see in Connecticut and Massachusetts (steel gray with thin red bands) while americanus is supposed to be the more southerly species.

Exoskelos

Arachnosquire
I live in SE Ohio, basically right where the range overlaps for the two species. I just say Narceus americanus since that is the more commonly used name, even though the proper term is Narceus americanus-annularis complex. I guess scientists are still determining if there may be even more species in the genus not yet identified taxonomically, so for now its lumped into a species complex.

I always thought the millipedes here were probably annularis or a morph of americanus, but I am on the southern edge of the range for annularis, and I see the steel silver with red bands commonly around here too. If they happen to be annularis, then they have considerably more mass to them than americanus, but since I don't have a mature male, it would be near impossible to tell for sure.

And so ends my bit of geeking out about millipedes. :bookworm: I'm not as well versed in millipede taxonomy as I would like to be, even then its a rather jumbled mess since these wonderous arthopods get sparse attention from the scientific community. Not to mention there are species with multiple names from different people naming the same animal twice, or specimens being mislabeled.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Awesome finds! I wish I had an area near me with that many species found so easily. Thanks for sharing!
By the way, the Abacion sp. were feeding on the ants themselves? Wouldn't it be the other way around?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Exoskelos

Arachnosquire
By the way, the Abacion sp. were feeding on the ants themselves? Wouldn't it be the other way around?
If I remember right, Abacion is the only genus of millipedes to be predatory. Of course they could have been symbiotic with the ants, but I'm fairly certain I saw one catch and eat one. The other ants didn't attack them either, I think they mimic the ant pheromones, which is why they smell so foul. They move pretty fast too, much faster than other millipedes. They could be the remnants of a common ancestor between centipedes and millipedes, but I'm not sure.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Found this searching for Abacion sp. info and thought I'd mention the 500+ Narceus annularis we've caught in central Arkansas.

Exoskelos

Arachnosquire
Found this searching for Abacion sp. info and thought I'd mention the 500+ Narceus annularis we've caught in central Arkansas.
Are you sure they are N. annularis? Seems too far south, its likely they would be Narceus americanus, not annularis. I live basically on the border between the range of the two, and I'm fairly certain that annularis gets far bulkier than americanus. Same length wise, but they have sort of a hefty look to them, whereas N. americanus is more slender looking. A couple of them I have in my communal tank are nearly twice as wide as the Narceus gordanus, and its supposed to be the bulkiest US species.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Are you sure they are N. annularis? Seems too far south, its likely they would be Narceus americanus, not annularis. I live basically on the border between the range of the two, and I'm fairly certain that annularis gets far bulkier than americanus. Same length wise, but they have sort of a hefty look to them, whereas N. americanus is more slender looking. A couple of them I have in my communal tank are nearly twice as wide as the Narceus gordanus, and its supposed to be the bulkiest US species.
Confirmed in a thread by several people on here. Nothing slender about these guys :happy:.
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/millipede-id-opinions.307855/

Last edited:

Exoskelos

Arachnosquire
Confirmed in a thread by several people on here. Nothing slender about these guys :happy:.
It is a bit south for N. annularis, but I could be mistaken, ranges aren't clearly defined boundaries after all. The dark morph pictured in my thread here: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/narceus-americanus-or-narceus-annularis.308833/ is probably N. annularis, while the others in the photo are definitely N. americanus. Yours seem likely to be from the americanus side of the species complex, based on the location. N. annularis is the northern variant. They're near impossible to tell apart, it's why they're lumped into a species complex for now.
I meant slender when compared between the two species, N. annularis seems bulkier. I've yet to find a good collecting spot, as of now I find a large adult with 10-12 subadults nearby, then nothing. I know of some legendary collecting spots, but the closest one is a 4 hour hike.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
It is a bit south for N. annularis, but I could be mistaken, ranges aren't clearly defined boundaries after all. The dark morph pictured in my thread here: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/narceus-americanus-or-narceus-annularis.308833/ is probably N. annularis, while the others in the photo are definitely N. americanus. Yours seem likely to be from the americanus side of the species complex, based on the location. N. annularis is the northern variant. They're near impossible to tell apart, it's why they're lumped into a species complex for now.
I meant slender when compared between the two species, N. annularis seems bulkier. I've yet to find a good collecting spot, as of now I find a large adult with 10-12 subadults nearby, then nothing. I know of some legendary collecting spots, but the closest one is a 4 hour hike.
Well I'm not quite sure what to think, because everything youre saying about location range is totally backwards from what I've been reading. And your picture looks nothing like anything ive been shown for annularis at all.
https://bugguide.net/node/view/15012 this explains the typical range as south-eastern america, with ohio being the NORTHERN edge of its range. Not the southern. And the pictures listed dont quite match yours either.

Exoskelos

Arachnosquire
Well I'm not quite sure what to think, because everything youre saying about location range is totally backwards from what I've been reading. And your picture looks nothing like anything ive been shown for annularis at all.
https://bugguide.net/node/view/15012 this explains the typical range as south-eastern america, with ohio being the NORTHERN edge of its range. Not the southern. And the pictures listed dont quite match yours either.
That link is for Narceus americanus. It is the southern variant and its northern range stops at Ohio. Narceus annularis is the northern variant, and its range is from Canada down through Ohio into Appalachia, perhaps as far south as Tennessee but unlikely. The overlap for the two species is directly in my location. If your location is indeed Arkansas, then the species you are finding I do not doubt are Narceus americanus, and not Narceus annularis. You're too far south for it to be N. annularis with any certainty. I'm not trying to invaildate your claim, I'm just saying its highly unlikely that the millipedes in your area are Narceus annularis, based on your location. Read the range description carefully here.
http://eol.org/pages/310313/overview

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
That link is for Narceus americanus.
Read the whole title. Narceus americanus annularis complex. Spells out the whole thing.
The link you posted is for typical americanus. Which i know are also in my area.

Exoskelos

Arachnosquire
Read the whole title. Narceus americanus annularis complex. Spells out the whole thing.
The link you posted is for typical americanus. Which i know are also in my area.
I know what I linked to. How about we agree to disagree, because obviously neither of us will change our minds. At this point further discussion will be inflammatory and pointless.