A Good Display Tarantula?

oldmanofthesea

Arachnoknight
I spend a lot of time at a work table and am planning to set up a habitat on my desk. I would like to use a tarantula that stays in the open more than others. If you have any suggestions, a reply would be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance. ron

windscorpions1

Arachnoknight
If you don't mind a pet rock most brachypelma and aphonopelma sp. would do. Grammostola sp. could also work.

---------- Post added 04-14-2015 at 07:18 PM ----------

If you want to have some interesting webbing though gbb's would be great for that purpose.

horanjp

Arachnosquire
Geniculatas are natural entertainers and they look great. Come to think of it, they remind me of a dog I used to have...we would fill up his water bowl in the summertime with the hose and he would eat at it ferociously...such a cut up.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
+2 genic. But my Phormic is on display the most and my GBB fem (who wont hide) is awesome but the boys usually hidden [but veiwable from above], howevery my other male whos lent out used to sit out in open a quite bit but too much webbing to see him from the sides was the downside as youd need to look above him or open the lid to get a horizontal view on him..

Last edited:

Yanose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would say a GBB or an A. versi but then again I really like Avics

Roosterbomb

Arachnopeon
I don't know how big your desk top is but I assume size is an issue. So with that in mind I can say my Paraphysa Scrofa is always up to something. Nothing super entertaining but she has little patterns and habits that are fun to watch. She's a pig as well so anytime you want some feeding action drop something in and enjoy.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
+1, my 1" GBB hid for a day when I first got her, then took up her throne of cork bark and only leaves it to poo and drop more silk around. Love her.
Yup! Mine will go into her hide for a few hours randomly but other than that she just webs her web all day lol.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Yup! Mine will go into her hide for a few hours randomly but other than that she just webs her web all day lol.
just wait.. i had my boys in thier same container from 1.5-2" area till they matured [not housed together] and when i sent off one male and went to clean out all his silk.. it was thicker then any silk shirt iv seen.. some spots so thick it was ridiculous.. it was like 30grams of silk... holy cow and that was after cutting out some spots with dirt in it XDi actually had to toss the plants from his cage cuz they was so silked i had to use steel wool to pull the silk from the silk plant XD wasnt worth the $0.10 plant lol so when my other is eaten or sent out too.. im just tossing all plants in the tub and scrubbing or maybe seering the silk off the plastic lmao

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I'll pile on the genic wagon. Mine has never burrowed or used a hide since i got it 7 months ago. Also, they look great and if you want something with some size to it, there you go. Not that the others suggested are not worth consideration as well.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Yeah. I was sold the first time I saw a photo of one. Reds, blue, etc are great, but there is just something about the contrast between the nearly jet black and the white that makes them really pop. And of course the size is the icing on the cake.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Yeah. I was sold the first time I saw a photo of one. Reds, blue, etc are great, but there is just something about the contrast between the nearly jet black and the white that makes them really pop. And of course the size is the icing on the cake.
i heard that! i used to be attracted to H. Lividum when i was younger because you just never see blue in animals it seems[excluding birds ofcourse] but when i got into researching i loved the genic and thought pictures did no justice.. got gbb in with same order for the blue [lord knows i didnt need a colbalt] and whew!!! the black and white threw me through a loop.. she had all her adult colors at 1.5" and the more she grows, the more she becomes my love lmao.. blues and reds are cool, now if we found a T as green as a Corallus caninus or a real ruby T i may have a love tree.... but till then genic is my one love.. shes just too cute XD

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I spend a lot of time at a work table and am planning to set up a habitat on my desk. I would like to use a tarantula that stays in the open more than others. If you have any suggestions, a reply would be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance. ron
Maybe H. lividum? Just kidding.

I think C. cyaneopubescens make great display tarantulas. My Brachypelma are often out in the open now that they're reaching full size. Of course, A. geniculata is a great choice too. I don't think you could go wrong with any of these.

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
Humm I was going to say geniculata as well.. But let's think outside the box. My nhandu chromatus and tripepii are always out in the open (except when they are about to molt) also let's not over look out avic species(versicolor, diversipes ect ect.) good display is usually expected to be out in the open and large size, but when I think of good display the whole terrarium is an option for good display.

Burrowers can make great displays if we force them to burrow on the sides as Stan described in his book.

I love to see a beautiful tarantula however seeing a beautiful setup is very nice as well.

oldmanofthesea

Arachnoknight
Thank you all for the great ideas. I'll do a little more research and then get one or two ordered. The folks on this forum are awesome. Thanx again. ron

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
just wait.. i had my boys in thier same container from 1.5-2" area till they matured [not housed together] and when i sent off one male and went to clean out all his silk.. it was thicker then any silk shirt iv seen.. some spots so thick it was ridiculous.. it was like 30grams of silk... holy cow and that was after cutting out some spots with dirt in it XDi actually had to toss the plants from his cage cuz they was so silked i had to use steel wool to pull the silk from the silk plant XD wasnt worth the $0.10 plant lol so when my other is eaten or sent out too.. im just tossing all plants in the tub and scrubbing or maybe seering the silk off the plastic lmao
Shes 5 inches and webbed everything up thick in a day... I was like..... omg. I wonder what they're thinking when they just keep going. She webs the entire inside of her hide too but never really uses it. webs the top of the container, her water dish. I'm surprised she hasn't webbed herself yet lol

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Shes 5 inches and webbed everything up thick in a day... I was like..... omg. I wonder what they're thinking when they just keep going. She webs the entire inside of her hide too but never really uses it. webs the top of the container, her water dish. I'm surprised she hasn't webbed herself yet lol
Sounds about right..ill trade you mines last molt was 5.66 and she HARDLY webs xc she has like 2spots from molt mats some up in sides (only like 1" up) and in front of her pot she was supposed to hide in... Even austin was lost when he seen how lolittle she webs loool

OP_ glad your going to do research let us know what you choose, and remember "no pics, no proof"