A good defense against mold

Toddydog

Arachnosquire
Alright, let me preface this by saying that this isn't scientifically proven or anything like that. Its information I got from another breeder and it makes a whole bunch of sense.
Here's the actual important stuff:
Mold grows in moisture. High moisture and low airflow can create an idea environment for mold. So the best defense against mold is more ventilation. Pretty common stuff most of us know already but here's where people can mess up. Where you have your ventilation is important as well. If it's just at the top the air isn't flowing through. It's just going in through the top and leaving through the top. Some of that air becomes stagnant in there which is a huge issue. Ventilation should go through one side and exit out the other. This creates air flowing through the enclosure which makes it harder for mold. Another huge tip is to have the airflow going through the substrate itself.

Anyways, I know I'm not the best at explaining things but I hope this helps, its certainly helped me. 1537146823104372091253220024665.jpg

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
All of my enclosures, since forever, have total ventilation :)

I strongly disagree with those that even cover part of the air holes for "mantain humidity". Mah :angelic:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I have more issues in glass aquarium due to more room for bolas and no ventilation in the bottom just the top .
Still got nothing to combat it .

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I have more issues in glass aquarium due to more room for bolas and no ventilation in the bottom just the top .
Springtails, unless the mold has taken over, then the only thing you can do is change the sub and try to keep it drier.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Did you not do what I said in your thread about having random springtails in one of your water dishes? Springtails are literally a free clean up crew and you could have had a thriving culture by now.

I started one after finding them in my H. laoticus' water dish.

Springtails.JPG

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Sure, that works fantastic. But have fun watering. ;)

Only spiders that could use that are the ones that like it humid, thus requiring basically a pan under the cage to catch water. Unless you like wiping it up.

I do vent holes just above the substrate. Works just as well IME.

Something I've noticed with the taller arboreal cages- You can't just like a bunch of holes in the lid and around the upper sides. You'll get tons of mold issues. Vent should extend to the substrate for optimal ventilation.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Sure, that works fantastic. But have fun watering. ;)

Only spiders that could use that are the ones that like it humid, thus requiring basically a pan under the cage to catch water. Unless you like wiping it up.

I do vent holes just above the substrate. Works just as well IME.

Something I've noticed with the taller arboreal cages- You can't just like a bunch of holes in the lid and around the upper sides. You'll get tons of mold issues. Vent should extend to the substrate for optimal ventilation.
Not to mention that I experience substrate falling out whenever I fill a new ventilated enclosure too much. I don't want dirt and water all over the place. That's how you get mud. But yes I've done a line of holes near the top, just above the substrate, and then a couple (usually in a circular shape at opposite sides) in the middle. I've never had a mold issue in my swampier Pamphobeteus enclosures using this pattern.

Interesting thought, OP, but really you just need decent above-substrate ventilation and springtails don't hurt either as the lovely @The Grym Reaper has suggested. Mold isn't on par with nematodes or impaction as far as tarantula-killers go so no need to overthink it.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Did you not do what I said in your thread about having random springtails in one of your water dishes? Springtails are literally a free clean up crew and you could have had a thriving culture by now.

I started one after finding them in my H. laoticus' water dish.

View attachment 286779
I put some in that cage & some ina container. Haven’t seen much movement can they drown or do the burrow into substrate?
Hope more springtails show up !!!

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I have been putting holes lower than the substrate line forever, especially in the spiderling containers that I trickle water into because they are too small for a dish, and I rarely have any mould issues. I also put them right in the corners where I will normally have the water dish, because that is where you can run into the most problems.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
For some insane reason, I think because I had it lying around from my reptiles, I included bark mulch in my spider substrate when I first got started with tarantulas. Perhaps it made the substrate go further. Anyway, I have found that substrate with any form of wood in it is far more susceptible to mold than the substrate I use now, which is coco fiber mixed with vermiculite.

But for moisture lovers, I too am all about the springtails!