A. gigas Question

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a few specimens that are around 2" in length. How long should I expect before they reach adult size? Also I've been keeping them on a diet of primarily carrots. Do they need rotting wood or are veggies fine?

mickiem

Arachnoprince
They are mature in 5-7 years. You need to make sure they get plenty of rotten wood and especially leaf litter. You might also try a variety in fresh foods - they like avocado, cucumber, mango, apple, squash. They really aren't picky eaters but they do need the leaf litter. You might try some of the substrate recipes in this forum; just search "substrate recipes".

What kind of substrate are you using? There is a care sheet pinned to the top of this forum with some great information.

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've been using just cocoa fiber and leaf litter mixture, but I haven't really been making sure that they have plenty of leaves. Thanks for the information!

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Leaf litter and rotten wood are very important to your millipede's diet; without at the very least one of these present at all times in the enclosure, they will die of starvation. If you acquire rotten wood, make sure that it is white and fluffy, easily torn with your nails. Both wood and leaf litter should be disinfected though heating in an oven or microwave, or thorough freezing in a refrigerator in order to kill pests harmful to your millipedes.

I suggest that at least 50% of your substrate be a mix of rotten wood, leaves, and edible composted soil, and the other half can be inedible such as cocofiber and peat. Most millipedes can not live solely on coconut husk fiber. I mix some shredded leaf and wood into the substrate and also place a chunk of wood and a leaf litter layer on top of the substrate in case I can't switch out the substrate in time. Substrate should be as least as deep as the largest millipede is long; this allows them to burrow, molt, and eventually lay eggs. The substrate should be moist but not sopping wet. Dry substrate and the dehydration it causes are just as deadly as the drowning caused by waterlogged substrate, especially for young or small millipedes.

Carrots are fine, but all millipedes prefer softer fruits and vegetables such as (in order of favorites) cucumber, zucchini, squash (incl. pumpkin), apple, eggplant, or mushroom. Fresh leaves of lettuce are also a favorite of most AGBs. Some protein is needed, but not too often, and I have used fish food, dog food, and dead feeder insects for this purpose.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I have a few specimens that are around 2" in length. How long should I expect before they reach adult size? Also I've been keeping them on a diet of primarily carrots. Do they need rotting wood or are veggies fine?
I posted my Millipede Substrate Mix if you are interested.