1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A. gigas found

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by mobugman, Apr 26, 2014.

1. mobugman

mobugman Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    I finally was able to purchase a group of giant african millipedes. So excited to add them to the collection. I was told that the males are much harder to get but am not sure if that is true. Anyone else know. Thanks

2. Cavedweller

Cavedweller Arachnoprince

Congrats!

I've heard that males are prone to dying unexpectedly, I assume that's why they cost more.

3. Argos

Argos Arachnopeon

Not necessarily always the case. I know a LPS owner with a few hundred adult A.gigas. He has about 1 male to every 100 females and will be asking around 300 for males. At those prices, I'll just wait a few more years when everyone has done all the hard work rearing these and their A.gigas become adults with plings flooding the market.

4. Cavedweller

Cavedweller Arachnoprince

Wow thats a crazy sex ratio! Any idea why it's that extreme?

5. Argos

Argos Arachnopeon

6. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoemperor Active Member

That's a crazy number of adults! Wouldn't mind keeping a few of those, even if they are only females. Also, that's a shocking M/F ratio. I guess the male has his pick of the litter then, so maybe he's able to choose the females with the strongest genes? Or he could have a harem of sorts?

7. wastedwoodsman

wastedwoodsman Arachnosquire

Where did you manage to buy them? Just out of curiosity.

8. mobugman

mobugman Arachnopeon

Actually had some dealings with a reptile dealer who put me in contact with a breeder. I purchased 5 pairs. I had considered selling one pair to recoup some of my investment but I am going to want too much. They are so cool

9. wastedwoodsman

Ah i see. Yea i have a huge female she's at least 10inches long! She gave me some babies awhile ago but i no longer have my male. :/ Been trying to find her a new mate with no luck as of yet lol. Damn Missouri and its lack of millipedes!!!!

10. mobugman

mobugman Arachnopeon

I know. There are so many cool larger species that I want and cant find. Sucks

• Like Like x 1
  11. wastedwoodsman

I know exactly what you mean. I passed through St. Louis today and no invert sellers around :/

12. ftorres

ftorres Arachnobaron Old Timer

I recently lost my last female and I have a lonely male looking for a mate.

13. wastedwoodsman

He will most likely be a lonely fellow from here on out lol. I still haven't found a male for my female! lol Good luck on your searches!

14. Sounds as if one of you needs to send his millipede to the other :giggle:

15. wastedwoodsman

Lol yea they'd have beautiful babies I am sure my girl nessie is tired of Miles the flameleg humping her back by now lol. XD New genes for the gene pool! I saw more babies in my tank today... I have the strongest urge to move them to another tank but i noticed my baby pedes eating the poop of the adults the other day so i was hesitant to move them. >.> Have you ever seen or heard of this? Do you think it would be safe to move them? I am just afraid to shock the poor little guys they seem rather fragile except maybe the decent sized one that like 4 or 5 inches now >.>

16. MrCrackerpants

MrCrackerpants Arachnoprince

tyi
    I would move your adults out. Moving the babies would be a big environmental stresser.

17. wastedwoodsman

Yea I will most likely do that, just because its easier for my adults to adjust. Thanks for the suggestion!

18. MrCrackerpants

MrCrackerpants Arachnoprince

tyi
    You bet and congratulations again. :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. ArachnidSentinl

ArachnidSentinl Arachnoknight Arachnosupporter

Huh. I've never heard that before. I actually have the opposite problem - I have two males and no females.

20. wastedwoodsman

Lol its seems like a lot of us either have all males or all females! Where did you by chance get yours? As my female still doesn't have a male. I Have gotten babies from her at least 3 times though as i have various sized young ones in my tank now.