A geniculata sling premolt?

Alvara1996

Arachnopeon
I'm relatively new to the hobby (I've had a juvi B hamorii for nearly a year) and got my first slings last month (A genic, B albiceps, G actaeon) and now of course I'm wondering when they will molt... can anyone check this genic picture and tell me if she's getting close?

I hadn't noticed the dark stripe on her opisthomona before, is that the start of premolt darkening? She is much less food aggressive at the moment, took her last cricket but only very slowly, not like her usual attacks!

Attachments

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Looks like she is getting close to me. But the dark patch is not a premolt sign. i believe that is the heart.

starnaito

Arachnosquire
I think it may be getting there, but if it's anything like mine, it won't let you know by refusing food! Mine will keep accepting food just a few days before molting. Look for the entire abdomen (the pink areas) to start darkening. At that point, molting is imminent.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
If an A.geniculata refuses food, it will molt soon. As long as it eats, no molt. It is this easy with this species :D

The dark areas are the urticating hair patch and the heart of the spider which is visible because it hasn't developed the coloured hairs and waxy outer layer yet. :)

Alvara1996

Arachnopeon
Update: she moulted this morning, so I guess she really was getting close! Unfortunately she has only given me a few sneaky glimpses of her new legs from her hide so far, so I don't know exactly how much she's grown, but I'm glad she did it and seems fine :)

Sinned

Arachnosquire
Grats on the molt :D Slings take less time hardening, she will be out and about soon looking for snacks :p

Maybe you already knew this, but still. Wait a few days before feeding again though, as her/his fangs need to harden also.

Last edited:

Alvara1996

Arachnopeon
Grats on the molt :D Slings take less time hardening, she will be out and about soon looking for snacks :p

Maybe you already knew this, but still. Wait a few days before feeding again though, as her/his fangs need to harden also.
Thanks :) Yeah I'll probably wait up to a week to be certain!