A. Geniculata sling not eating.

17sms

Arachnopeon
Asking for a friend. He has an A. Genic sling that seems to not want to eat over a week after molting. Attacks it, kind of "observes" it and seems interested but does not succeed in catching the prey and eating. Could this be a bad molt or something else?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Prey items could be too big. Try smaller and/or prekilled prey. Hard to tell without pics.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
Sometimes my A. Genic doesn't like to eat with an audience so i leave prekilled prey in with it. I would suggest doing that.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Sometimes my A. Genic doesn't like to eat with an audience so i leave prekilled prey in with it. I would suggest doing that.
Mine has become picky about letting me watch. She'll let tiny crickets walk all over her until i put the lid back on and look away for a second. Hoping she snaps out of it soon, i like watching her snag some crickets/mealworms.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Asking for a friend. He has an A. Genic sling that seems to not want to eat over a week after molting. Attacks it, kind of "observes" it and seems interested but does not succeed in catching the prey and eating. Could this be a bad molt or something else?
How big is the sling, and how big are the prey items?

My 2" Acanthoscurria geniculata just molted and took eight days to resume its normal prey response. (I tested it with a paintbrush or a drop of water to see how it responded. It normally attacks anything that moves but still seemed uneasy on day seven.)

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
How big is the sling, and how big are the prey items?

My 2" Acanthoscurria geniculata just molted and took eight days to resume its normal prey response. (I tested it with a paintbrush or a drop of water to see how it responded. It normally attacks anything that moves but still seemed uneasy on day seven.)
I usually wait seven days (with 1"+ slings) after a molt just to be on the safe side, my A. geniculata is an eating machine, I was topping up the water dish and it was going crazy - attacking the water as it was being poured, what a voracious appetite these guys have, @17sms post some pictures so we can see what you can, without pictures it's hard to tell what's going on, thanks.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
How big was the abdomen after the molt? I've had some slings so fat they went two molts without eating. Rather than basing the need to feed on a length of time I's suggest going off abdomen size. If it's abdomen is still plump and it has water I wouldn't worry too much. Just wait a week and try again.

Last edited: