A. geniculata pre-molt.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I offered an appropriate sized dubia to my new A. geniculata, well it didn't want to know, the following day(today)I checked on it - first signs of pre-molt, darkening abdomen, just started, but what I'm wondering is - Would you offer any more prey items or just leave it to get on with whatever it's up to, it's abdomen is very plump, so there's no chance it's hungry, what are your thoughts.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
If it aint eating, it aint hungry. You can count on that for sure with A. genic.

Plus the premoult signs are there. Waste of effort trying to feed to be honest.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
If it aint eating, it aint hungry. You can count on that for sure with A. genic.

Plus the premoult signs are there. Waste of effort trying to feed to be honest.
Just had a quick look - it's abdomen has darkened considerably since this morning, from being slightly dark nearest the carapace to black al over, now that was fast.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Just had a quick look - it's abdomen has darkened considerably since this morning, from being slightly dark nearest the carapace to black al over, now that was fast.
I would not be concerned then. Especially because the abdomen is plenty plump. Let it do its thing and be prepared for the Post molt apocalyptic appetite ;)

Keep the water dish full.

jaycied

Arachnoknight
As soon as my genic stops taking food I leave her alone. Means a molt is imminent. Usually she stops taking food, the next day her abdomen is darkened, then 2 or 3 days after that she has new clothes.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
The abdomen is starting to get shiny now, that's 12 hours since I noticed a slight darkening of the abdomen and now it looks like it may molt in the next 24 hours, maybe longer, but it's definitely imminent. Thanks @The Grym Reaper
Post some pictures. Gray=premolt, purpleish=super heavy premolt.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
The abdomen is starting to get shiny now, that's 12 hours since I noticed a slight darkening of the abdomen and now it looks like it may molt in the next 24 hours, maybe longer, but it's definitely imminent. Thanks @The Grym Reaper
They usually make a moulting mat 24hrs before flipping over, it'll probably be within the next week or so

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
My genic is a wee little baby, so the darkening is very obvious, but youre right about it being quick. Last time mine molted, id checked on her, saw a slight black line down the middle (which has returned), left for 30 minutes, came back to a molted spider. Speedy little guys for sure.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
A molt mat is usually made very shortly before flipping. Sometimes the genic will actually flip immediately after finishing the mat, as in this video
Well, speaking from experience, they usually make the mat 24-48hrs in advance, they might add some finishing touches like an extra layer of silk followed by kicking off any remaining urticating setae shortly before actually flipping over to moult.

This was taken on the evening of 9th January, you can see she's already kicked off a load of hairs, she flipped and moulted on the morning of the 10th.
15941223_1559804414032992_2865149318906601757_n.jpg

My L. difficilis, this was taken 19/10/16, she started making it the day before, she flipped at lunch time on the 20th
14642460_1458785214134913_6258334321730980968_n.jpg

My G. pulchripes, G. iheringi, Lasiodora parahybana and B. hamorii juveniles have all built theirs around 24hrs in advance, probably some of my other terrestrials too but they either tend to moult in their burrows or are a GBB which perpetually webs up everything it sees.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Post some pictures. Gray=premolt, purpleish=super heavy premolt.
I don't want disturb her as she's heavy into her pre-molt, I'll post pics once she's molted, wouldn't want to disturb the process, it's draining enough already for the spider, but yeah once she's finished I'll certainly show her off, with her new clothes,(I'm saying her, but I'll know for sure after this molt I would assume.)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Never put food into a molting tarantula's enclosure. The tarantula will get eaten.
Correction: don't disturb a molting tarantula. Or, if you meant pre-molt: don't put LIVE food in an enclosure with a spider in heavy pre-molt. ;)
Stay focussed, young padawan...

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Correction: don't disturb a molting tarantula. Or, if you meant pre-molt: don't put LIVE food in an enclosure with a spider in heavy pre-molt. ;)
Stay focussed, young padawan...
Agreed, since the A. geniculata started it's heavy pre-molt, the only times I've disturbed it was to replenish water supplies, other than that I always leave well alone, of course checking regularly as with all my T's, but not over anxious as some keepers are, they do know what they're doing after all, far better than we do!

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
IMG_0740.JPG
Here's my A. geniculata, still in pre-molt, but looking very dark and shiny, shouldn't be long now, how much size would I expect to see from this sp. at 2"+, maybe an inch.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
View attachment 245106
Here's my A. geniculata, still in pre-molt, but looking very dark and shiny, shouldn't be long now, how much size would I expect to see from this sp. at 2"+, maybe an inch.
Yeah, they put on a lot of size with each molt. My sling molted last night and im fairly certain she doubled. You can probably expect anywhere between half an inch to one inch growth

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Yeah, they put on a lot of size with each molt. My sling molted last night and im fairly certain she doubled. You can probably expect anywhere between half an inch to one inch growth
That's what I thought with such a fast growing species, great news, like a big monster eating machine, I miss my LP from years back, he was the true demon, attacked everything, largest locusts were his favourite, looking forward to this big guy/gal becoming an eating legend.