a. Geniculata Leg inside out after molt

krombo

Arachnopeon
Hey guys this is super bizarre When I came back from work today i noticed my little a genic had molted,
Problem is that the palp and the first front legs on one side where like big inside out reddish white coloured blobs,
i wanted to gently see if the leg was attached or if something had got stuck to him and they came off very easily, hes now left with a 1 palp and 2 legs missing and the point they join to the body, there is a bit of fluid but its not bleeding out,
i am extremely concerned for the lil guy as you can imagine, ive just never heard of anything like this happening.
i really hope he makes it through

hes about 5-6cm at the moment (dls)

anyone have any advice? I guess these guys can use automy but im not sure if he had begun this process or it was just so damaged it just fell off, either way i guess it had to go
just wish i could explain better as i havent got a photo in all the panic

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
It will be fine. Tarantulas have a valve at the base of the leg that closes off when a leg becomes damaged -- they won't lose too much hemolymph ('blood') in the process of losing a limb or two.

Since it's a genic, give it a few days rest to recover and the fangs to harden, then feed it like you normally would. It will do what this species does best, and eat its way through to the next moult, where it will have regenerated the missing limbs (at least partially).

Devin B

Arachnobaron
Luckily its small enough that itll have its legs back in no time.

krombo

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys, he's currently not responding to any stimulus so I'm just gonna leave him be and hope for the best!

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Thanks guys, he's currently not responding to any stimulus so I'm just gonna leave him be and hope for the best!
This is worrying, and I'm less confident than I was before.

Are you able to take photos? Even a freshly moulted T will respond to stimuli (very gentle brushing or blowing of air). No response to any stimulus is not a positive sign.