1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A.geniculata kicking hairs

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by ChaelP, Sep 13, 2017.

1. ChaelP

ChaelP Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    I woke up this morning and noticed my a.geniculatas abdomen balding on the side. She was obviously kicking hairs. Shes not much of a kicker so i was confused by the balding. I bought her last week. And she just molted a week before i bought her according to the previous owner so molt isnt coming any time soon. What could be the reason for this? Stress? Laying traps in her new territory? Thanks

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Trenor

Trenor Arachnoprince Active Member

NC
    She is likely spreading some hair around her new home and a little stressed from the move. Giver her time to settle in and based on the photo I wouldn't worry too much.

Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Walker253

Walker253 Arachnobaron Active Member

Yeah she's spreading some around as defense. Her abdomen doesn't look very bald. She still looks great. A genticulatas are awesome. So fun to feed. Don't overdo it and make her fat.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Moakmeister

Moakmeister Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    Nothing to worry about.

• Like Like x 2
  5. VanessaS

VanessaS Arachnobaron Active Member

Maybe, over time, you can add a bit more substrate to that enclosure. It seems a bit on the high side and it could cause problems later on with falling risks. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. RemyZee

RemyZee Arachnosquire Active Member

USA
    Agreed. More substrate would be good.

And yes, she's likely just spreading hairs to defend her new home :) Gorgeous T, btw. Where did you get her?

• Like Like x 1
  7. darkness975

darkness975 a Dream Within a Dream Arachnosupporter

Needs more Substrate to mitigate the risk of a fall.

Regarding the Setae flicking, that is like others have said and just a sign of redecorating and laying them down as a defensive mechanism.

• Like Like x 2
  8. ChaelP

ChaelP Arachnosquire

Ok thanks.
    Actually, the bottom to the top of the enclosure is only 6inches. My geniculata is 4inches and the substrate is about 1-1.5inches. Maybe it just looks high on the pic :D

• Like Like x 2