1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A. geniculata feeding

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by thesillynames, Feb 11, 2019.

1. thesillynames

thesillynames Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hello, Im pretty new to this hobby and still learning alot of stuff. I got a question for all of you fellow breeders. I reccenty bought a sling (3cm) LS A.G and It can eat like truck. I fed her 2 roaches eceryday and It took them without any queation. So I want to know If feedeing eat everyday with 2 roaces is okay? I read that it will speed its growth but will reduce its lifespan. Thank you very much for your help I can provide a picture if needed

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  2. Tenebrarius

Tenebrarius Arachnobaron Active Member

Advertisement
    it will at worst get obese and suffer the risks that come with obese Ts like abdomen dragging. Ts will fast when they dont want food. I dont know the size of the roaches you're giving, probably small ones I assume.

3. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

Two roaches a day is an excessive amount. I would reduce the feeding to maybe 1-2 a week (depending on the size of the roach). This species will still grow quickly even on a less extreme feeding schedule as long as you're not keeping it cool.

While tarantulas don't experience the same complications from obesity that mammals do, there are still risks. A plump terrestrial tarantula is at greater risk from falls, since its abdomen is more likely to rupture upon impact. Tarantulas can also experience drag/scrape injuries on the underside of the abdomen if it's dragging along the ground.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoking Active Member

You cant overfeed a fast growing sling, it all goes towards growth. Adults and sub adults are a different story.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

That is true, but at 3 cm, it's starting to transition out of "grow out of the sling stage" mode and into a juvenile feeding schedule.

Additionally, even with my hungriest slings, I've never fed more than 2-3 times a week. (Feeding rates will vary based on the meal; I use mealworms, which are filling meals, so I tend to feed less frequently.)