A. geniculata: a must have for a modest collection?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I found a 1.5-2” sexed female from a reputable dealer. Thinking I’m going to go with that one. I wouldn’t mind having a smaller one (like 1” which is what my GBB and Versi were when I got them), but on the other hand having one that is sexed female is a huge draw. I dunno. I’m a bit torn.
If you can buy a sexed female i would go for it if you've decided to go with this species. :)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I found a 1.5-2” sexed female from a reputable dealer. Thinking I’m going to go with that one.
I'd honestly go with a guaranteed Murderess*, I purchased mine as a 4" sexed female about 18 months ago and she's over 6" and getting ready to moult again, they're no slouches when it comes to growth.

*0.1 Acanthoscurria geniculata DTTI (Death To The Infidels)

I didn't know what it was until a week later when I tried to feed it. The way I remember it, I lowered a mealworm in, the T ran out of its burrow, went up the tongs, flipped me the bird, slammed its kritter keeper shut, base-jumped off my tongs and landed on the mealworm which I had dropped by that time. It may not have gone quite exactly like that but it happened so fast I'm a little fuzzy on the details.
This sounds remarkably similar to when I first fed Rogue.

I held a locust just outside of her burrow and she came storming out of the entrance, emitted a guttural roar that vaguely resembled the word "Food", snatched both the locust and the tongs from me, threw the tongs at my face, said "puny human" and then went back inside and proceeded to "Tea-bag" the dead locust.

Last edited:

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
If they offer another H. Sp large ( pumpkin patch ) grab it. They stay pretty small so won't realllly count towards your 5 T's total..

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
If they offer another H. Sp large ( pumpkin patch ) grab it. They stay pretty small so won't realllly count towards your 5 T's total..
LMAO... I already emailed them and said if they are thinking of sending freebies to take them out.

295BF823-8A35-4676-9418-8427982A5A1A.jpeg

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
I did think about taking a freebie if they send one and offering it up here, but then I figured no one would pay shipping for a freebie.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
1) always take a freebie. Always

2) you need a true NW terrestrial. GBBs don't act like it.

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
1) always take a freebie. Always
I used to believe that and then I ended up with herpes... j/k, LOL.

Seriously though, I’ve put a lot of thought into what T’s I want to get, and I’m just not interested in straying from my plan and ending up with a throng of theraphosidae.

2) you need a true NW terrestrial. GBBs don't act like it.
Won’t the Geniculata fill that need?

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Yep that's what I meant, you need the A genic.

Take the freebie. It'll take you 2 minutes a week to care for it, and many times the surprise species is an eye opener to something wonderful that you weren't expecting or planning on. Consider it early xmas.

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
Yep that's what I meant, you need the A genic.

Take the freebie. It'll take you 2 minutes a week to care for it, and many times the surprise species is an eye opener to something wonderful that you weren't expecting or planning on. Consider it early xmas.
Ha... you almost have me talked into it, but alas, I got this email reply:

DBBE7C3B-2BF1-44CE-B8FD-CE76DBC63097.jpeg

It’s from FearNotTarantulas for the record.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Ha... you almost have me talked into it, but alas, I got this email reply:

View attachment 259718

It’s from FearNotTarantulas for the record.
That's a good call on their part, my first OW (Chilobrachys huahini) was a surprise freebie, it hasn't really given me any problems but if I'd had the option to turn it down then I probably would have (given that I'd only been in the hobby for 4 months at the time).

If I want random (to an extent, you can narrow down what you get) species then I'll buy a mystery box.

1) always take a freebie. Within reason
Fixed that for you ;)

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
Nice coloration, aggressive eaters, active and out in the open...
Many many South and Central American species fit this description, and lots of them look better (matter of opinion of course) and get larger than A. geniculata. Dig deeper is my suggestion.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Many many South and Central American species fit this description, and lots of them look better (matter of opinion of course) and get larger than A. geniculata. Dig deeper is my suggestion.
You need to read the whole thread before posting. He already ordered the A.geniculata. :p

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
A. geniculata was my first T. I wanted a hardy NW good eater with decent growth speed and a somewhat docile attitude, and all I got all of that in The Murderess*.

* 0.1 Acanthoscurria geniculata DTTI
(Death To The Infidels)

[Sorry @The Grym Reaper , but I'm using that from now on. I will convert the unbelievers by touting the virtues of The Murderess.]

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
It was the thread in which you argued that Jaimie's Tarantula's had misrepresented the size of the tarantula you had received. I believe it was called "Where is Jaimie's tarantulas?". Most if not all responses were of the opinion that you lacked the concept of s'ling sizing in the hobby and in the business. Your signature suggests that breeders make $10,000 dollars per LP sac, a figure, that while I am not a breeder or vendor, I am pretty skeptical of. You also inflate the mortality rate of 'slings. I merely pointed out that I had a 100% success rate with my small group of s'lings even though I had never attempted to raise spiders from the s'ling stage before. and you failed to take into account the cost of doing business. You also failed to take into account the possible mortality rate of 's'lings before they are offered for sale. An actual breeder/vendor would have to chime in, but I don't think that a 1,000 s'ling sac would necessarily equate a 10,000 dollar profit.
Heyyyyy that was my thread that got hijacked! Lol

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
Building a straight terrestrial setup for my geniculata is a bit less exciting than making an arboreal or semi-arboreal setup. Still... doing what I can. I did fabricate this pretty slick hide out of a solid piece of cork bark using a Dremel.

0DFF66C4-FB54-406A-88B0-CF7525E2E9F3.jpeg